Sassafras trees HELP !!!!

cenepk10May 20, 2014

I inherited a sassafras tree when I bought the property 2 years ago- what's the deal with these ? I love them so much !!!! Mine has nary a leaf & was covered in the beautiful blooms- but a cold snap got it early. Thought it would leaf out- but no. My brother has one on his property- they seem to be short lived & succumb to disease ? I don't know... Just asking if I should cut down & replace. It's home to woodpeckers & looks at deaths door. HELP !!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cenepk10

Google is so vague... Sigh ... Need a genius on here to advise... I'm in metro Atlanta- country setting - the tree is in a former pasture- it is all alone- we were in severe drought 2 years ago when it started showing stress - but have since recovered with much rain- also there are many holes bored by peckers maybe it's been dead- but it didn't know it :(

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 11:02PM
cenepk10

Nighttime pic

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 11:07PM
beng(z6 western MD)

Sassafras around here dies from some kind of virulent anthracnose that kills leaves & works down stems, killing them. Few of them remain.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 7:47AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if you find a search engine to be vague ... then you need to convert to the latin name... as most websites that deal with ANY given plant... are under the latin ...

otherwise.. you would be searching thru root beers... plants.. etc ... herbs.. medicinal ... etc ...

need a daytime pic

ken

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 10:16AM
esh_ga

The tree may have died but you may yet see sprouts from the roots, Sassafras are pretty well known for doing that. In the meantime, let the woodpeckers have what they need from it and see what happens in terms of root sprouts (and they could be several feet away from it).

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 10:27AM
cenepk10

This is the trunk - forgive me if it posts sideways & I can't forgive out how to post multiple pics at 1 time. Thank you all so much for the responses !

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 8:24PM
cenepk10

Another shot

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 8:27PM
cenepk10

Another

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 8:33PM
cenepk10

Is this new growth ?

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 8:36PM
edlincoln(6A)

Yes.

Bookmark   December 18, 2014 at 8:38PM
lucky_p

In my experience, they're a 'pioneer' species, colonizing disturbed or abandoned spaces...growing rapidly...and declining relatively rapidly, as well, as they're replaced/overtopped by mature canopy vegetation.

Can't make it out for sure, but I'm not convinced that the sprout you're seeing at the base of the tree is not just a 'volunteer' callery pear seedling, courtesy of some perching bird defecating the seed out. But...maybe it is sassafras suckering up from the root collar - sure looks like the top is on its way out, if not dead...

Bookmark   December 19, 2014 at 5:06PM
poaky1

I think the bottom sprout may be a weed, however I am frequently wrong. That trunk looks done for, even I can see that. I cut down my Sycamore when the trunk looked like that. I'm pretty sure it's done for, so it's bad. poaky1

Bookmark   December 21, 2014 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
what is/are the current spam rules?
i dont have the patience to read all the boilerplate...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
ID for silver tree
Need ID on medium upright growth tree; small silver...
roselady35
general all-purpose fertilizer recommendation?
Can anyone recommend a good, all-purpose granular (perferably...
vlk20
need advice for how to deal with Phytophthora
Unfortunately, my magnolia had this for quite a while...
gailuvscats
Fast growing trees in zone 8 or 9 Houston tx
We want to add trees in with our very old live oaks...
johnfam
Sponsored Products
'Welcome Y'All' Sassafras Floor Mat
$7.49 | zulily
City Scene Sassafras Cotton 3-piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
Metal Creations Sassafras Twig Wrought Iron Standing Coat Rack - 901249
$496.08 | Hayneedle
Metal Creations Sassafras Twig Wrought Iron Wall Coat Rack - 901325
$215.78 | Hayneedle
Holly Monogram Sassafras Doormat Tray Insert
$2.99 | zulily