Curled leaves - is this a problem?

gaw1(5/6 Lake Tahoe Sierra NV Mtns)June 23, 2009

Most of my roses have new leaves that are curled / gathered / warped looking. It appears as time goes on they flatten out. Is this normal?

I don't spray and have a minor amount of aphids. We have been hit with 2 weeks of cold, wet weather.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

It's not normal. Had any powdery mildew? It can cause waviness and curling, but I don't see any PM. Deformed new leaves along with death of growth tips can result from severe nutrient imbalance-- for example, calcium deficiency can cause hook-shaped leaves like the one at 3 o'clock in picture #2. Has this shoot lost its growth tip?

I'm very familiar with the aftermath of aphids, and this does not look like that.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 3:36PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

No, I know every sort of powdery mildew damage, and this doesn't look like that.

Rose Spring Dwarf Disease???

Jeri

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 4:27PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Jeri, he said it was on most of the plants, and I don't think that could be the case with RSD, which as you know is a rather uncommon virus disease. I'm sure you must be right in ruling out mildew. It doesn't look quite like it to me either, the severe cupping and pleating.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 4:36PM
buford(7 NE GA)

I get leaves like that sometimes when it is cold. Could just be stunted from the cold?

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 8:55PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

I agree with Buford.

My first thought was big deal :) I've seen that lots of times.

IMHO it is from the cold.

Carol :)

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 9:02PM
roseblush1(8a/Sunset 7)

I agree with Carol. I have seen it show up on several roses, not all, and I just remove the leaf. I have a hunch it's some kind of insect that layed some eggs. Since the leaf is wrinkled, it can't do it's work of photosynthesis, so i just take it out. If it is a bug, the bug is gone, too.

Smiles,
Lyn

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 7:06PM
gaw1(5/6 Lake Tahoe Sierra NV Mtns)

Thanks all. I think it is either the cold snap we got or the aphid patrol by hand that I did when the leaves were very small.

The bushes are doing fine otherwise so I'll leave nature be.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 7:40PM
susan9santabarbara

I saw some of this type of damage on some roses about 3-4 weeks ago when we were in the throes of a major thrips invasion. I have seen this leaf damage in previous years as well. It was also cooler than average, which I think intensifies the damage from thrips b/c it takes longer for the blooms and new leaves to unfurl. Just a hypothesis! It's definitely not Rose Spring Dwarf Disease or Powdery Mildew on my plants. Thrips are a year-round presence for me nowadays, but there are definite peaks of their activity, and interestingly this coincided with major thrips damage on my blooms.

Susan

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:29PM
htwfmol_hotmail_com

Mine are crinkling, on Etoile de Holland and some on Zephirine Drouhin.

The weatherherehasbeen beautiful really - no cold snaps, nuthin.

The leaves don't look mildewed.

Still baffled.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses...
bluehaven_gweb
Help finding a miniature rose
So far I have decided to try Green Ice from Chamblees....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Montezuma
Does anyone grow this rose? I got one yesterday for...
meandmyyard
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™