what to plant in part sun/shade that rabbits won't eat

njmomma(z6 NJ)July 24, 2014

I have a raised bed (only 1 foot raised) that the squirrels and rabbits consider their salad bar. So far, they've decimated the roses and the black eyed susans. They don't touch the balloon flowers or catmint.

It's in the back corner of my yard and I have a big perennial garden in front of it with tons of daylilies, echinacea, sedum, daisies, liatris, etc... because that part gets mostly sun.

So, anything in the garden, including the roses - the little buggers don't touch, but as soon as I put it in the raised bed they eat it. It drives me crazy.

I don't want to keep buying stuff for them to eat so what can I get that they won't touch?
I was hoping to put a hydrangea in the far back that will get big and then I'll have about 7 more feet by 3 feet to fill. Will they eat the hydrangea too?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KateinDC(7a)

We have a lot of rabbits, and they haven't eaten my hydrangeas (except for the young shoots of oakleaf hydrangea in the winter, but they don't touch the mopheads). They also haven't touched my hostas, or my native crested iris. The perennials/shrubs they seem to like most are toad lilies, native asters, echinacea, and - most of all - blueberries.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 7:51PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

plant a guard dog???

ken

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:48AM
marthastoo(6)

We've been having problems with rabbits too, and we've found that these bunnies will eat anything, especially if it's young and tender. Honestly, the only thing that really works is to get rid of them. We've used a havahart traps and have trapped and released 5 bunnies. That has made huge difference in what is now actually growing in our gardens.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 4:26PM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

In partial shade/dappled shade for me, the nasty, awful, greedy rabbits have not touched:

Ferns
Hellebores
Geranium macrorrhizum and hybrids
Geranium maculatum
Stylophorum diphyllum
Pycnanthemum muticum (in the sunnier areas)
Thalictrum
Columbines

Plants that they love to target:

Phlox stolonifera
Phlox divaricata
Aster cordata (but not Aster divaricata)
Geranium phaeum

Keep in mind however that if hungry enough, rabbits will eat and destroy ANYTHING, regardless of what books have to say. Even if it is something supposedly lethal.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 5:45PM
junco1102(5b)

Marthastoo, what did you use as bait in you havahart trap? We tried a trap too, but have caught nothing. The rabbits are everywhere and seem to be laughing at our efforts while they continue to eat the garden plants, especially anything new.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™