Campanula glomerata 'Bellefluer Blue'

pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)July 7, 2010

I have two of these plants and what am I supposed to do after they bloom? Am I to deadhead and if I cut them back, after deadheading, will it encourage them to rebloom? This is their second year, so I'm hoping for miracles next year. They are planted in same flowerbed but separate areas. Should I dig them up and replant together to make a bigger plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

I too started with only a couple of plants a few years ago. Do not deadhead if you want more plants. Also, deadheading doesn't help because they will bloom en masse and each plant will bloom once only. Later in the summer, you might get the odd flower popping up.

My experience has also been that the plants will gradually disappear over the summer. At first I thought that the plants had died, but they returned in greater numbers the following year. However, I don't know what cultivar I have and maybe not all cultivars behave this way.

If you want to move the plants together, I think you should do so right after they finish blooming.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 10:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wieslaw59

All cultivars of Campanula glomerata have a running habit, and they are impossible to remove once they are inside a clump of another plant. You'll have to dig it up and wash all the roots , pulling even the smallest roots of the campanula out. Otherwise it will come back. In my opinion it should be forbidden or should be sold with a warning.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
daves10
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™