WS Iceberg Lettuce?

midmented(6B)January 28, 2013

Has anyone ever WS Iceberg lettuce? I was going to set some out this week to see what happens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

I've never even seen iceberg lettuce seeds anywhere, but why not? Is it that different from other lettuces?

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:55PM
midmented(6B)

Iceberg lettuce forms a head. Our church gave out seed and among the packets were iceberg lettuce. I thought I'd give it a try but have no experience in growing it.
My wife doesn't like leaf lettuce so maybe growing iceberg is in order. :)

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 6:42AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

I'd go for it then, but maybe hold back a few seeds just in case it doesn't like this method.

And everything old is eventually new again -- iceberg wedges are back on quite a few menus recently after being out of style since the late 60s, early 70s. Iceberg used to be all most of us got when we were kids. It took me a long time to warm up to leaf lettuce, or most salad stuff for that matter.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 6:54AM
ladyrose65

Midmented, Hazzard's Seeds is selling 5000 Iceberg lettuce seeds for $5.45. I have personally ordered from them, good germination and good packing. If you don't want 5,000 seeds, post a group seed purchase share for Iceberg lettuce. I would be interested.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:30PM
midmented(6B)

I haven't gotten in to the seed exchange thing. It's one of those things that if I start, I might like it too much. :)
Wal-Mart had Iceberg lettuce on their shelf last evening. I didn't note the price but the heads were smaller than a normal head of lettuce.

I'm going to WS a couple milk jugs of Iceberg sometime this weekend.I have about 100 seeds which should be plenty for this experiment on WSing Iceberg. I'll bookmark and check out hazzards though. thanks for the info.

Here is a link that might be useful: DW's Blog

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 4:56AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

Ladyrose, I'd wondered if there was a way to share purchases of large #s of seeds. It sounds like a good idea since I've seen catalogs that offer 1000 or more seeds and always thought I'd never use that many.

And if any of you watch Top Chef, their quickfire challenge this past week was to use iceberg. They were appalled. :)

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 7:34AM
ladyrose65

Carly, you are too funny! Sharing of large packs of seeds sounds good.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 2:50AM
midmented(6B)

The Iceberg Lettuce went outside in milk jugs this morning. There sure were a lot of seeds in the packet. I also set out 5 different varieties of flowers this morning. FYI

Here is a link that might be useful: Posted to my blog

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
Winter Sowing Dahlia Seeds?
Does anyone WS Dahlia seeds? How do they work out for...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Winter Sown Peppers (Tomatos)
I tried winter sowing last year for the first time...
midmented
Trying again after 10 years..
Hollyhocks, hibiscus, yarrow, delphinium, lychinis,...
CEFreeman_GW
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™