Saw the fox again

just1morehosta(5)January 20, 2011

For the last two weeks, we have had our fox return,every evening, around 5 pm, he(she) shows up, walking really fast, into the woods.Abeautiful red,and very thin.

cAROL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemctier(z5/6 waynesburg PA)

that is so cool. i've never seen a fox in the wild. i know they are here, i've seen their prints and on the road, but never been lucky enough to catch a glimpse.

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 12:59AM
gardenweed_z6a

Had a family of five living behind my row of blueberry bushes last year. They came out to play in the early morning:

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 6:09AM
just1morehosta(5)

Eileen, I was hoping you would post your pictures again,Have you seen any yet this year?Keep a look out, I am going to try to get a picture.
cAROL

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 11:01AM
gardenweed_z6a

Haven't seen anything but then again the snow is over 3 ft. deep out there. I expect they're still hibernating.

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 12:07PM
rosemctier(z5/6 waynesburg PA)

wonderful pics! i think my dogs just scare everything away. bark bark bark that's all they do. we do get huge flocks of turkeys that show up when we get a lot of snow-- they run up and down the driveway in the path we shovel out at ridiculous early hours-- i wake up to their prints in the morning. they have no fear of the dogs LOL

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 12:22PM
gardenweed_z6a

The foxes had no dogs to worry about--no one has a dog except a couple folks down the road a ways and the dogs are smaller than the foxes. The adults and 3 pups came out to play in the early mornings when it was just beginning to get light. A few times I saw them in the evenings before dark too.

Not a clear shot because of the dim light plus the window screen but here's another one:

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 1:24PM
downsouthdavid(7)

Red foxes are very beutiful. I've seen the silver morph of them plenty of times while I was deer hunting. They are VERY smart and by the time you see them in the woods they have already dissapeared. You are very lucky to have the opportunity to get pictures like that. But the downside is anywhere fox and especially coyote populations increase, there is usually a substantial decrease in ground nesting birds such as turkey, grouse, and quail. :( They realy need some thinning out where I live so the quail population can bounce back. I haven't heard a bobwhite in at least 7 years where I live.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Can you re-use the potting soil from last year?
I have some milk jugs left from last year. Can I use...
jd101
Winter Sown Peppers (Tomatos)
I tried winter sowing last year for the first time...
midmented
When to sow annuals?
Do you think it is a valid rule of thumb to use the...
smdmt
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™