Shasta Daisies done - now what?

nydepot(6)July 24, 2011

The daisies are done. Foliage still green but flowers are done. This is my first year with them (inherited from a new house). Do I shear the flowers off down to foliage or leave them? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

I would deadhead the flower heads - not attractive, and more energy will go into root production if not spent on seed production.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 8:44PM
tepelus z6a SW MI

Yup, I cut mine back to the basal foliage every year to tidy them up. I need to go do that soon.

Karen

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 11:06PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Sometimes there will be new buds forming further down on the stems. If so, cut back to that spot and you will get further bloom. If not, cut back to crown for new growth.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 2:20AM
mandorsk

I planted shasta daisies from seed indoors this past winter, set out the plants in a sunny composted enriched garden this Spring (zone 7). It is now July 29th and I have plenty of foliage but no flower buds. All the zinnias, asters, and sunflowers are doing just fine. Why no bloom? Should I yank these plants at the end of summer or hope for bloom in the second year?

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 3:59PM
gardenweed_z6a

mandorsk - many perennials, including Shasta daisies, won't bloom the first year from seed. I grew them via winter sowing last year and they're blooming this year for the first time. Same with ladybells, lobelia, columbine, blackberry lily, beardtongue, globeflower, carnations and blanket flower. All were grown from seed via winter sowing last year, grew into healthy plants that went dormant in the fall, came up again this year and bloomed.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™