No Earwigs?!?!

lilsproutJuly 5, 2014

I was out today moving plants around and suddenly realized I have not seen one earwig.

Surely a great result from the brutal winter! They have to be one of the nastiest bugs in my opinion.

We've certainly had enough rain to make it the perfect environment, yet not one. :D

I'm wondering if everyone else is seeing any?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
green_go

Yes, I've seen them - they are happily munching on my brugmansias and hydrangeas. Not too numerous (yet), so I don't need to take out my insecticidal soap yet, but they are here.

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 9:06PM
david883(5/6)

I've seen a few too. some were living in the wilted flowers of my camp. elizabeth... that was a discovery! *shudders*

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 10:20PM
Teresa Gordon

No earwigs here in my southern Ontario garden either. Also no slugs, very few snails. Japanese beetles, which just started showing up a couple of years ago in my garden, have not been seen either. Quite a few toads and dragon flies so maybe they have eaten all of them. Unfortunately, the little worm that has invaded my beebalm the past two years is back.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 7:31AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

OMG!!!!! you shouldnt have said.. it.. you cursed us in MI .. lol ..

as you know.. everything was a month behind the spring in MI ... now lets see if the Es were

ken

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 10:30AM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Yes I've got the little nasties, they're busy gorging themselves on everything here :(.

Annette

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 12:03PM
terrene(5b MA)

I have noticed that there seems to be a reduced number of earwigs this year, which is good, but also a much reduced number of bumblebees, which is not so good! Also, have hardly seen any slugs, despite having a fairly wet growing season so far.

But I have found some earwigs on the milkweed, which is normal. They hide in nooks and crannies of the growth tips and flowers. I flush them out and smush them!! Along with any other predators that might get the Monarch larvae (haven't seen any Monarchs yet this year though).

I've gotten over my squeamishness of smushing earwigs and beetles and such with my bare fingers...

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
hey newbie: straw or hay
so you say.. whats the difference.. well .. i will...
Looking for Dianthus 'Mrs. Sinkins'
Is anyone growing this Dianthus or know where I can...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
NEWBIES: dealing with heavy clay soil
i praise the Lord.. i have never had to deal with it...
Please help me figure out what this perennial is called:)
I got this on clearance from lowes a couple years ago...
mrsmodernhousewife
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™