Strawberry Foxglove

dogg1967July 11, 2014

Well, second year and we have a bloom! This is my first and only success with foxglove so I'm quite happy. Don't know if this plant will be around next year as most foxgloves I know are true biennials... ah well, I will enjoy it while it lasts. One question though... should I cut off the spent flower stalk? Will this induce another bloom? (Oops, that's two questions.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

Check out the info at the link below. There's no mention of a rebloom period.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foxglove

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 9:04PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

That is a lovely blossom. I have had a smaller rebloom on at least one variety of my foxglove after cutting off the spent bloom. Also cutting off the spent blooms and not letting foxglove set seed will sometimes help the plant survive and bloom another year.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 9:41PM
echinaceamaniac(7)

One of mine got broken off at the top and it branched out along the stalk and had many blooms on small branches.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 10:47PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

once its spent.. or just gets ugly.. what do you have to lose.. experiment ... cut it ...

my third question would be... do they come true from seed.. so would you not cut them to allow the seed to ripen ... .. presuming you wanted to get some generations going ...

had you thought of it.. you should have bought and planted some more seed.. or a babe plant.. this spring.. so you would have one next year ...

growing true biennials.. requires some advance planning.. to maintain the plants in the garden ...

but i wouldnt be surprised... if flower color fails to come thru seed .. but you would have a variety of colors ... the parental colors .... or grand parents.. etc ... others or research can tell you if flower color comes true from seed ....

ken

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 11:42AM
hoverfly - 9a London(9a)

Strawberry Foxglove is supposedly perennial so it should hopefully be back next year.

If I were you, I'd let it set seed as this one does come true. I have a bunch of them that all came from the same plant.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 4:24PM
Campanula UK Z8

No, no rebloom. Digitalis mertonensis is a short-lived perennial so count on 3, maybe 4 years of life.....but hey, they will definitely seed about so offspring will be yours aplenty.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™