Dig out a hillside for mulched leaves?

wertach zone 7-B SCAugust 12, 2014

I have a pull behind DR vacuum that I use to mulch my leaves and put on my garden.

They don't decompose over the winter and they cause problems when I plow and plant in the spring. Too many leaves in certain areas.

I am thinking of digging out a place on a hill that I have on the backside of my land and dumping the leaves there this fall.

I have a backhoe with a front end loader that I bought last summer so it will not be a lot of manual labor.

I can dig in to the hillside and make an assessable hole for my front end loader. Then I can dump from above which will be easier since the vacuum trailer is hard to dump. Not high enough from the ground. So that would make dumping easier.

Then in the spring I can use the front end loader to scoop up the leaves and use for mulch instead of buying straw.

Anyone see a downside to this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toxcrusadr

Sounds good if you can keep the disturbed hillside from eroding.

If you had more greens you could compost those leaves, but I imagine you've thought of that.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 4:19PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I don't think I'll have an erosion problem since I plan to be digging it close to the top of the hill.

I plan to dig just below the top so that I have enough drop to dump the leaves.

I won't have any greens when I pile them in the fall, almost everything will be brown by then.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 5:04PM
glib(5.5)

greens are not hard to come by. I guess that 1 lb urea greens 100 lbs of leaves. if it is underground, most of it will not leach.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 7:11PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The Carbon to Nitrogen ratio of leaves varies from about 35:1 (close to the optimum of 30:1) to 60:1 depending on the age of the leaves. I have had piles of shredded leaves get quite warm when they were freshly fallen with no additional Nitrogen added. However, a little extra N in the mix, along with just enough moisture, should be all that is needed for the bacteria to get to work.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 11:11AM
wertach zone 7-B SC

Thanks to all! When I gets cooler I'll get to digging!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary Cotterill
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
The case against compost tumblers
I am complete against tumblers. They don't drain well...
tropical_thought
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™