2014 Impulse/Clearance Rose Purchases

mirendajean(Donegal, Ireland)June 9, 2014

I'm sharing my impulse purchases, please share yours!

My garden is full. I'd promised not to buy any more and focus my reduced gardening budget on edibles - increasing my potted orchard & expanding my veg beds.

Clearly, I was unscrupulously enticed by Homebase. They had Harkness roses on clearance for 50% off. I was also seduced by the local Argo supply store's willingness to barter down prices. Finally, I just got greedy.

I purchased Harkness's Madrigal (aka "Courageous" aka "Fetzer Syrah Ros�" aka "King Arthur") it was on 50% clearance because it had been sun deprived, smashed between 6 other roses on a table. I think a little TLC will perk this right up...

I purchased Harkness's Easy Does It on clearance because I was afraid that Madrigal would get lonely...and I have a thing for apricot coloured roses...

The local Agro supply store has been been unable to sell its 5' Tree Roses. I've admired them for a year but refused to pay �45/$61. I walked in and offered �30/$40 and walked out with a lovely rose...

Finally, our 74yr old Bachelor Farmer Uncle wanted two climbing roses. I purchased
Madame Caroline Testout. I, being a good niece in law, potted her up. Then I, being greedy, kept her because she's too beautiful...

Honestly, I'm going to try to abstain from any more purchases...Im going to try...honestly!

M

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Bad girl . . . and nobody here is going to blame you a bit! Thanks, enjoyed your post.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 3:24PM
seil zone 6b MI

You're singin my song, Mirenda! And if you expect anyone here to chide you over your indulgences your lookin in the wrong place, lol!

I have the 1988 Harkness King Arthur AKA Lawrence of Arabia AKA Samaritan AKA Fragrant Surprise AKA English Sonnet (why do their roses have so many names?) and I love it. Madrigal looks beautiful too!

I think you'll have to take your Uncle with you next time if there's any hope of his actually getting his climber, lol!

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 3:37PM
mirendajean(Donegal, Ireland)

Thanks guys.

The uncle - who is far too Irish & manly to buy his own roses- has learned an important lesson. Send the niece in law for roses and you end up with a pink-ish rose.

He wanted a red climber like his mother used to have so I got him Paul's Scarlett....then I purchased the more vigorous Narrow Water to cover a particularly unattractive wall.

M

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:35PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

My impulse purchase this year was a 'Pink Peace' after seeing pictures this year. About 8 fat buds ready to open.
Then the low 100's temps hit and every opening bud fried!

Love your tree rose. Good buy.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 9:18PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

I love your M. Caroline Testout!!! Never heard of that rose before. Stunning!!! Lucky you!!!
Wow!
carol

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 1:23AM
More Discussions
Hybrid tea White Magic
I was wondering if anyone has grown the Hybrid tea...
gibsongirl74_gw
Austin roses at Whole Foods
Just returned from Whole Foods store in the New Orleans...
suebelle_neworleans
How to Take Cuttings...
We are officially moving Monday, and as I walked the...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
Potting Or Planting New Bare Root Roses?
In the past, I have planted most of the bare root roses...
alameda/zone 8
Sponsored Products
Dainty Rose Tray Runner - Set of Four
$19.99 | zulily
Chooty and Co Duck D-Fiber Pillow - Set of 2 - CSET17K949
$42.99 | Hayneedle
Cilla Glass and Steel Rectangular Table - CTY286
$715.66 | Hayneedle
Lite Source Felicity Floor Lamp with LED Reading Light - LS-82475
$239.00 | Hayneedle
White 3-Light Motion Sensor Security 19" Wide Outdoor Light
$74.91 | Lamps Plus