Emperor One Japanese Maple dry/dead branches inside

Cal_00June 15, 2014

Hi, Last October I planted a B&B 10' Emperor One Japanese Maple in my yard. When I went to pick out the tree at the nursery the tree was very full and beautiful. I notice that this year the tree has quite a few dead branches on the inside. They are dry and snap off without much force. I've never owned a Japanese Maple and I'm not sure if this is a common issue or if it might have been damaged due to the serve winter we had this year. The tree is planted in a morning sun afternoon shade area and when I planted it I did it the was the nursery told me. I dug a whole twice and wide as the rootball and added a few bags of organic mix soil mixed with my clay soil. I then added a 3" layer of mulch all around the tree. I was also watering the tree and kept watering until the first frost came. I will upload a picture of the tree today once the sun comes out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

My questions are:

Is this normal?
Will more branches continue to dry?
What might have caused this?, to prevent it from happening again.

I'd like to add that the tree has grown a bit in size and is still growing. All the exterior branches around the tree are alive, only the inside branches are drying off if that makes sense.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

I'd guess that it is winter damage.

This past winter caused damage on several of my Japanese Maples- the late frost killed areas on those that leafed out early.

Prune out the dead bits and hope for a better winter next time around- not much else you can do.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 7:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

its hard to come to any conclusions WITHOUT A PIC ...

a 10 foot transplant took huge stresses in the digging .. moving.. and planting ... winter was probably minor after all that ... [and even worse.. if it was grown to 10 foot in a pot]

i hope you have PERFECTED WATERING ... see link for a discussion

after reading such.. if you want to discuss/compare how you are doing it.. feel free ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
Help my dying tree it's leaves are drying
I found a dying tree and brought it home just to have...
sashaprokaski
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™