John Deere L120 Stops Running - 9/21/08

deere_driverSeptember 21, 2008

My 5yr old L120 stops after just a few minutes of running, then only runs for 20 to 30 seconds with each subsequent start. It has a Briggs & Stratton 20hp INTEK twin engine which just had the carburetor rebuilt by JD to solve this problem. After the rebuild, the tractor was used to cut the lawn 5 times over a period of 5 weeks, then the problem surfaced again.

Along with the rebuild, new plugs, fuel filter, oil, and air filter were replaced.

The engine runs longer while on choke, but still eventually dies. I have sprayed carb cleaner into the carb and it will raise the rpms but eventually will die after a few seconds. I have tested the fuel pump - seems to be fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

Fuel tank vent?

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 9:44PM
jdowner

I would agree w/ bill here to start. Don't over-tighten your cap adn make sure the vent hole is not clogged. Try a toothpick or fine needle and see if it passes thru. A similar thing happened to me with my snowblower. I can not tighten the (ventless, not sure why) cap all the way or it dies.

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 3:47PM
deere_driver

Yes, thas was one of the first things I checked on the first round with this problem. Just to be sure, in the morning I'll loosen the cap and give it another try.

I'm going to run over to the JD service center and talk to them about it.

Thank you both very much.

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 10:17PM
tomplum

If the carb rebuild seemed to solve the problem- have you pulled the bowl to see if there is some debris that found it's way into the carb and is causing it to re-occur? I would pull the fuel filter and run a cup of fuel out where you can inspect that a) you have good flow and b) no debris behind the filter. I assume JD did the filters?

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
Tractor starter-wrong rotation.
As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer,...
rustyj14
Just throwing this out there...
Been thinking of starting a Facebook page on small...
snuffyinatl
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
Dead cylinder
So I have a Briggs & Stratton Engine model number:...
RebornGreen
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™