Briggs overheated

a-c_homesteaderSeptember 23, 2010

Hey guys. Didn't know it at first but mice had built a nest in the engine on my Simplicity 728. It hadn't been ran in a week so there pretty fast. Anyway yesterday I go to mow and after 20-25 minutes I noticed the engine started to get hot and lose power so I shut it off right away and removed the blower housing and found a big ol' mouse nest made of grass and insulation. I cleaned it out, let the engine cool, and checked the oil (Havoline 10W-30) and it was still full. I fired it back up and finished up and did some more and all seems well. Do you think it did any damage to the engine? Its an Briggs 8hp I/C and I have Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and oil.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canguy(British Columbia)

Good job, you likely caught it soon enough to avoid any damage. This should be an annual task.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 10:16PM
daft_punk

Good catch. You saved your motor. Nearly the same thing happened to my Craftsman with a one-lung B&S. Three years later, it still runs fine.

Check your wiring, though. On another occasion, mice chewed my spark-plug wire down to the copper. A spare rubber fuel line hose split down the middle fixed that one.

I now use "moth-ball" closet hangers to keep the mice out. You know...the plastic ones with a "urinal cake" inside. I hang one under the hood next to the motor whenever the mower's not in use. Each hanger lasts about a month.

Peace,

Marco

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 10:18AM
ewalk

a/c: Wow good save as has been indicated. Check your oil colour has it changed significantly , (darkened) if not do not fret . When engines overheat normally you will see excessive oil contamination from Thermal Breakdown , any sludge is broken down and will change the colour and texture (viscosity) from normal . I would offer a educated guess that with your knowledge level you change your oil religiously and will know by visual inspection if the overheating was serious. Dump your oil as a precaution and check out further for electrical damage as has been recommended ! :)

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 8:54PM
a-c_homesteader

Ewalk: Oil color is the same as before it happend and it didn't use a drop. I change it in spring and in fall. I mowed the rest of the yard and leveled the driveway with the belly blade attachment I have for it and it was running 2 hours non stop and didn't use a drop of oil

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 11:19AM
ewalk

a/c : All is Well that ends well Bro ! Good to hear that
No Serious Repercussions Prevail , I would think Your Good Ta Go !! :)

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 8:10PM
a-c_homesteader

Found another nest in it today but cleaned it out before I fired it up today to move some snowmobiles

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 11:52PM
mownie(7)

Time for D-con! And moth crystals in an old sock draped across the cold engine.

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 8:36AM
ollieduke

Had a pickup that was only driven on week ends,so one weekend it wouldn't start,checked and and found mice had chewed up 6 plug wires.(anti static kind,with no hard wire) Left moth balls on manifold and no more mice.

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 9:55AM
skjl47

A friend kept his classic cars in the same garage with open bags of dog and cat food. many times when I worked on them there was rodent damage and nests. If you can keep the mower and food in different places or in a sealed bin, the mice may not come around. An overkill solution may be a plastic bag you can store cars and motorcycles in. You drive drive the vehicle onto the bag , zip it up and plug in a 12 volt fan that blows it up with filtered air. Good for keeping mold and mildew at bay.

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 11:07PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Our home is situated in a woods full of oak trees! This fall, we are over-run with acorns. Can't walk anywhere without stepping on them. Squirrels are rubbing their paws together. But, they must not have any more storage places, as the 'corns are still plentiful!

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 10:27AM
More Discussions
Ford 1210 hydrostatic clattering when engaged
Is it possible someone is up on this subject here?...
jaceymae
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
JD X300/360/500/530 for snow blowing
Greetings, I have a half an acre I mow with a Honda...
ruhia
Garden tractor help
I am trying to decide on which garden tractor to buy....
lcb65
which is better Simplicity Broadmore 44" or Husqvarna GT48xlsi
I am about ready to order a new mower for my yard....
lcb65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™