Spots on rose bush leaves

PattiL(6b)June 3, 2012

We inherited a pretty white floribunda (I think) rose in a large pot. After all the new leaves popped out they all got these small brown spots on the top side of the leaves. I sprayed the plant with an organic plant bug spray and a couple days later all the leaves had fallen off. Now the plant has all new leaves and they are beginning to get the same brown spots. Does anyone have any idea what they are and how to get rid of them? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentucky_rose zone 6

Yesterday I began noticing a similar appearance of sort of purplish spots on my rose bush leaves. I sprayed a few days ago with a new product that has spinosad in it. Could this be the cause?

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 4:12PM
PattiL(6b)

In my case I had not sprayed anything in the yard prior to seeing the spots on the leaves.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 7:46PM
cecily(7 VA)

Hi Patti! Welcome to the Rose Forum. Your rose doesn't have bugs, its a fungus disease. Rose foliage is susceptible to many assorted fungal diseases and most roses need to be sprayed with a fungicide in our climate to protect the foliage. Start spraying in early spring and spray (just a quick mist) with fungicide every two weeks during the growing season.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:12AM
catsrose(VA 6)

Looks like anthracnose, a fungal disease similar to blackspot. Try a fungicide or just leave them be. It will clear up when the whether gets drier. Please be careful what you spray. Many sprays are highly toxic, can kill the good with the bad, and remain [toxic] in the soil and water.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:13AM
PattiL(6b)

Thank you so much for your help! I will try a fungicide. The bug spray I used was an organic one so hopefully it didn't hurt anything that's beneficial. You all are great! : )

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:31AM
mamatimms

Is there a safe spray for use on black spot? my climbing roses are in my herb garden. This is the second or third season I've lost most of the foliage on the plants, and after reading posts realize I need to jump on this earlier, but for now any suggestions?

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:39AM
Krista_5NY

In my no-spray garden I find it works well to let the roses fend for themselves regarding blackspot.

They get black spot and drop leaves, however they grow well and bloom well.

I think that organic fertilizers build the soil to create an environment where the roses do well, even with blackspot present in the garden.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 10:40AM
cecily(7 VA)

Mama Timms, I personally would NOT spray a rose in an herb garden. There are fungicides labelled as safe for agricultural use (think apple trees and veggies) but I'd be more comfortable yanking out the rose and replacing it with a disease resistant variety. Choosing a climber depends on where you live.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Anyone have experience with baby romantica roses? I'm in zone 8.
Just came across Romantica roses - charming! I container...
salleygardens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™