id flowering plant please

v1rtu0s1ty(5a)July 3, 2009

I biked today at Prairie Trail. Most of the trails are in forest preserves. Anyways, there is plant/shrub about 6 ft tall that I saw. It had white flowers that looks very similar to the flowers of viburnum or dogwood. When I got close to it, I fell in love with the scent. It was so vivid that even from 20 ft away, I can smell it. It was so sweet. It was on an open area. I guess, there were like 15-25 of them.

Anyways, I cut it so I can take a pic once I get home. However, when I arrived home, it was wilted. Hopefully, you'll still be able to id it.

Here she is.

Thanks in advance! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rodja

sambucus!

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 9:52PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

I searched for sambucus and the link below is what I found. Based from the description on the link, it doesn't have dark leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sambucus

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 10:08PM
ginny12

Elderberry. It is in bloom all over New England now. Just Google elderberry to see which species you have. There are so many things you can do with this shrub, from jam to wine.

It's a wonderful large shrub with lots of folklore associated with it. Tends to like moist soil. The Latin name of the genus is Sambucus, as rodja said.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 10:39PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

Also, it's on an open area, full sun. There were no big trees beside it. It's a forest preserve. So I don't think someone is watering it, just nature.

Ok, I will search for Elderberry. I was thinking of purchasing one but I'm worried that it might be invasive! Like what I said above, I saw them in large groups this morning.

Are they invasive? Also, the fragrance is totally different from lilac. I saw a description earlier on the web and it mentions that the fragrance is similar to lilac. I quite disagree with the article I saw. I can say that it was somewhat similar to the fragrance of Dama de Noche but much more sweeter like a candy.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 11:21PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Not invasive but relished by deer.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 5:57AM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

"relished by deer." It all depends. Our white tail deers don't like it so it's a great shrub for our area. I actually just bought another 'Black Lace'.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 7:26AM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

Is black lace also very fragrant?

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Which are organic fertilizers and where to buy them.
I'm looking for some organic fertilizers which can...
ycmahesh
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
Sun Lovers in Shade---Shade lovers in Sun?
Have you placed plants in a location contrary to what...
WendyJoZ8
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™