Not sure what to do next

pembroke(6--Louisville KY)June 12, 2014

When Mom's Pink came up this year I had a branch coming in the wrong place. Well, I thought I'd use it to start another rose. I eased it off the main trunk and planted it in a Heirloom band pot. Setting the branch about two inches off bottom with a good potting soil and backfilling around the stem 2/3 of the pot. watering with Miracle-Grow when dry to touch. I feel the stem/branch is alive and well, as the stem is still nice and green with top leaves green as well. Question: how long till starts branching out and when can I move it to real soil? Thanks for all suggestions. Questions, Please ask. Pembroke

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

People usually don't fertilize cuttings because it makes it harder to take up water, so I would stop that. I would leave it in the band until the band is pretty well filed with roots. That's true of any transplanting, si you can get a sol9id root ball.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:18PM
seil zone 6b MI

How long has it been potted? It could take several weeks for it to grow roots and you do not want to disturb it until it has a good healthy root ball. Once that happens I would pot it up to a 1 gallon pot and so on until it has enough size to plant in the ground. Just keep it watered and be patient.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 7:01PM
pembroke(6--Louisville KY)

has been in pot about a month. Should I see roots coming out bottom of pot and then transplant to larger pot? Pembroke

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 5:45AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

The rose will have visible roots in its own time. A month is a very short time for a good root system. 6-8 weeks is more typical. but I've had some take much longer.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 7:05AM
More Discussions
Questions about Blaze climbing rose
Hello. I am thinking of putting a Blaze climbing rose...
suz9601
When to remove winter protection so it doesn't rot, basically?
After last year's killing Polar Vortex, this winter...
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™