mail order m grandiflora Samuel Sommer

hardytropicalguy(z6 SWMI)June 21, 2013

i am trying to find a mail order source for Samuel Sommer. i checked the likely sources that came to mind, Durios and Greer, and did some internet searches. Anyone have any ideas or know where i could possibly get a mail order Samuel Sommer? THANKS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If what you are after is the ovate leaf shape and other plant body features you can get those from 'Victoria'. If you are instead trying to see the oversize flower of 'Samuel Sommer' then you will have to get that one or another that produces jumbo flowers.

Have to wonder about the prospects for 'Samuel Sommer' in Michigan, even after you find one. It is not one of the more compact, snow resistant types like 'Saint Mary' or 'Victoria', and is perhaps not one of the most hardy either.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 5:26PM
hardytropicalguy(z6 SWMI)

Thanks bboy for the info! i am going to try a few of the hardier cultivars here. I am going to find out which ones do best and get rid of (unless they die on their own) the rest. I am surprised no one has Samuel Sommer if I find one I will post a followup here.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:48PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Gossler Farms online catalog has about 4 kinds.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 12:45AM
hardytropicalguy(z6 SWMI)

I received a msg from Geoff at Greer Gardens they may be offering Samuel Sommer this fall on their listings some time after September. In case anyone else is or has been searching for this Magnolia grandiflora cv. This is the best lead yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: greer gardens

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 1:12PM
kenptn(z6b TN)

I have a M.g.'Samuel Sommer'. My tree is about 25 years old and is roughly 30' by 10'. It is strongly upright and very open. It has large blossoms, but they were larger when the tree was younger. The foliage is very glossy, reddish backed with a interesting yellow midrib. The tree presents a very open, somewhat gaunt appearance, unlike any other M.g. I've seen.

Years ago the tree was touted to be very hardy, as it supposedly withstood -12F in Georgia. My tree has endured -21F in TN with no damage to wood and cosmetic damage to the leaves. How it would take the frozen ground and extended winters of MI is anyones guess.

Incidentally the vast majority of this magnolia in Google Images are not 'Samuel Sommer'.

If anyone would like to try propagation from cuttings I can supply a few at the appropriate time. Email me at kentreesatdtccomdotnet. Change the 'at' and 'dot' of course.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Help my dying tree it's leaves are drying
I found a dying tree and brought it home just to have...
sashaprokaski
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™