Can I winter sow these seeds?

gr8heather(6b)January 27, 2013

It has been snowing all day, there is probably about 4 feet outside, the most I have ever seen here! Annnd... I just learned about winter sowing for the first time today :) So, what can I plant, and when? I'd like to try the following, what is a good idea, and what isn't?

Sunflower
Pansy
Celery
Balloon Flower
Tomato
Carrot
cucumber
balsam
chives

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gr8heather(6b)

Oh and poppies!

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 8:31PM
ladyrose65

Just hold off until spring for the sunflowers & chives. Everything can be sowed.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 8:41PM
barbe_wa

I wouldn't sow the cucumber seeds yet. They are fast germinators and the little seedlings would probably freeze before warm weather. I just wait and direct sow them when the ground is warm enough.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 10:41PM
kimka(Zone 6B)

Celery is such a fast germinator that I would wait about four more weeks or so so that it doesn't germinate in a warm week only to freeze off when it get cold again.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 11:57AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

What Barbe said about cukes -- they're better sowed directly once it gets warm. Everything else can be done now.

Caryl

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 1:45PM
jvdubb(6)

I got balsam this year too. I was wondering when to sow. So I guess I will do some later this week when I do my next batch of WSing

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 7:39PM
terrene(5b MA)

I am not sure of wsing results for all of these, but I direct sow Cucumbers, carrots, and many other veggies. Tomatoes I wait until early Spring to sow as they are heat-lovers and don't need any cold stratification, although they can be sown earlier.

Chives should probably do fine WSing, because I've ws'n ornamental onion (Allium cernuum, nodding onion) and it worked good. Now it reseeds itself!

Sunflowers I go either way, in cups or direct sow - they're very easy to germinate, the problem I have with Sunflowers is keeping them going in the garden! ALL MANNER of pesky critters go after my Sunflowers! 2 years ago, a Robin pulled up ALL of seedlings (not really sure why??). Last year I had 2 layers of barriers around them (hardware cloth and fence wire) to keep 1/2 of them alive! Something chewed the base of the stalks and pulled 1/2 of them over.

Rabbits, Woodchucks, Deer, squirrels...Sunflowers must be a gourmet item even before they make flowers and seeds, LOL.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 8:17AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

Last year whatever ate my bishop's lace totally ignored the sunflowers growing right next to it. No accounting for taste I guess. :)

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Can I really, really wintersow tomatoes?
I wintersowed in my old garden for several years and...
nonconformist_nymphette
seeds already started?
I've started several seeds in paper cups and put in...
sorie6
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Stopping by to say Hello
Hello to all the Winter Sowers I just dropped by to...
richdelmo
promix ultimate potting mix for winter sowing?
Is this kind suitable for winter sowing, since it contains...
pink_petals
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™