Stratification question

saponariaJanuary 20, 2012

My echinacea specifically says it needs stratification. Now it's been a really warm winter here. Crazy warm. My seeds will get cool weather outside but I doubt there will be much freezing weather. Will that be enough? A handful of frosts over the next 6 or 7 weeks? I'm only about 6 or 7 weeks out from the last spring frost the last few years. And this year is the warmest winter I can ever recall. So what say ye? Stratify inside for a while or just wintersow and stick it outside and hope for the best?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

40F and moist part of the hours in a calendar day, as nights, is cold enough. If you were stratifying indoors, you would be using your refrigerator which is approx 40F, not freezing. With some seeds, the fluctuating temps between day and night can help to encourage germination.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 11:10PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I'd put them outside.

Martha

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 12:04PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

A friend of mine started Echinacea under her grow light last year with no cold stratification at all and had good germination from what I can remember. Don't think you will have any problems setting them outside now, even if you don't get much more cold weather. ;-)
CMK

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 1:32PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I've started them inside with no pre treatment too and had good germination but seed was fresh. For most types echinacea, the general suggestion is a brief moist chill if reluctant to sprout. E. paradoxa and tennesseensis may do better if kept warm and moist 3-4 weeks, then chilled, then warm again.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Winter Sowing Dahlia Seeds?
Does anyone WS Dahlia seeds? How do they work out for...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #1:
This is the first thread in the official Winter Sowing...
ladyrose65
Winter sowing in cold frame?
Has anyone used a cold frame for winter sowing?
lmconne
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™