Impatiens

mary_maxJanuary 16, 2013

With the problems I have been reading about impatiens last season I am asking myself if I should even bother to sow the seeds that I bought at the end of the summer. Was this just a one time problem or will impatiens be a problem this year too? I have never used this flower but found a ton of seeds on sale last fall and thought it might be fun to try with my winter sowing? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

I've read that the fungus can remain in soil for years, which leads me to think that the disease might be around for a while. If your neighbor has it, the organism can blow into your yard...

But remember, not everybody gets it. I grew impatiens last year, in fact I have at least a few every year, without infection yet. Many of my neighbors grow them.

But, I always sow them inside under lights, not wintersown, or I buy a few 6 packs at a local nursery. They usually don't do that well for me because I don't water the thirsty little things often enough in our hot, hot summers.

Karen

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 8:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccoupkir(z5 Il)

In my experience, Zone 5 stays cold too long to really WS impatiens, other than the more native types. The seed really isn't winter hardy and by the time you can WS outside (May) it takes all summer for them to bloom. Just my humble opinion!

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
winter sowing a raised bed?
I am considering ws a raised bed in my backyard and...
maryjozone5
NJ annua flowerl seeds
Good morning! Can I put out my seeds now? They are...
Karen Ulisse
ws foxglove in 2liter
I'm a newbie and have been ws in 2liter bottles. For...
gardentherapy.
Anyone has started winter sowing in Toronto?
This is my second year doing winter sowing. I started...
chipeony
The thrill of the sprout
Just checked my containers and have two types of lettuce...
caryltoo Z7/SE PA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™