Finally, a bloom or two.

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. CanadaJuly 18, 2014

Someone gave me a cutting of Hydrangea aspera so long ago I can't remember who or when. After years of nursing it along it decided to give me a few blooms. I have it planted where it only gets a bit of evening sun, just before the sun disappears behind some tall trees. Anyone else grow this one with the furry leaves?
Annette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Oooooh! That looks like it was worth the wait!

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 11:45PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Awesome! Does it bloom on new wood?

Looks like the love child between Ageratum and Hydrangea, lol. Very cool ;-)
CMK

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:09AM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

I like it! I doubt it would bloom in my zone due to bud kill overwinter. Sigh.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:15AM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Christin I think it's one that blooms on old wood, I have never pruned it but it's getting pretty rangy so maybe I'll try cutting one branch back once it's finished flowering. I first saw this hydrangea in the U.B.C. Botanical Garden back in the 80's, now that I think of it perhaps it wasn't given to me, I might have bought a rooted cutting at one of the Mother's Day plant sales they held each year. This is where I bought my first Cardiocrinum, long before they were offered in commerce. I also bought a Dichroa febrifuga here as a rooted cutting, not really hardy for me out in the open garden, after a couple of years I lost it. I'm looking for another one as I think I'd have better luck growing it in my garden room. Alas, I haven't been able to find one locally.

Annette

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 1:16PM
gardengal48

Hydrangea aspera is only hardy to zone 6. And it blooms on old wood, like most macs. Tends to be a big, rangy shrub to go along with that big, felted foliage :-) The one at the Rhododendron Species Garden here is at least 15' tall!

This is one of my favorite hydrangeas, not only for the foliage effect but because the flower color is nearly iridescent. Unfortunately my current garden is too sunny and too small to accommodate but I had a lovely one at my old garden. Annette, yours will just get better and better.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
daves10
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Which are organic fertilizers and where to buy them.
I'm looking for some organic fertilizers which can...
ycmahesh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™