Question about deadheading climbing rose?

gardenbug(8b)June 28, 2014

I have a climbing rose (Polka) It gets clusters of roses at the top of each stem. Once that cluster is finished, can someone please tell me where to cut on the stem to remove them? Usually, I just snap the faded blooms off but then it leaves just some short stems at the top. So I need to know how far back on the stem do I cut? and where? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I don't know that there is any "rule" about it, but if appearances is your primary concern, I'd either trim back to just above the first 5 leaflet cluster (or if the rose has 7 leaflet clusters, back to just above the first 7 leaflet cluster), or I'd just wait a while until the rose got ready to put out some new growth--then when I could see where it wanted to grow from, I'd trim back to just above that point. (You could continue dead-heading the faded blooms while you waited for the new growth to make an appearance.)

Kate

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 4:33PM
seil zone 6b MI

Kate is right. What you're doing is fine unless those stems bother you. If so cut them back to the 5 leaf set or to where it's beginning to grow from and it will look less twiggy.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 4:51PM
gardenbug(8b)

Thanks so much dublin and seil. When you say cut back to the first set of 5 leaves, would that be the first set from the top of the stem or the bottom of the stem? Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 5:36PM
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct, but when I deadhead, I clip down until I see a new bud swelling at the base of a stipule. Usually, this goes along with "the first set of five leaflets" but sometimes it means further down. In other words, there isn't always a swelling bud at "the first set of five leaflets", and if not, I go down to the second or third.

:-)

~Christopher

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 11:46PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

First 5-leaflet from the TOP. However, this should not be a firm rule. With young plants, just pulling or snipping the blooms will usually produce the fastest growth--let the rose decide where it wants to grow out. New growth will soon cover the twigginess. Or for maximum neatness, cut above any leaf below the branching structure. Three vs. five doesn't matter.

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Montezuma
Does anyone grow this rose? I got one yesterday for...
meandmyyard
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Counting the Days!
Generally it starts after Christmas with me, truthfully...
sara_ann-z6bok
Julia Child for Pacific Northwest garden
I am on Vancouver Island and would love to add Julia...
Blueisland BC Pacific NW-Z8
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™