Want to Start Composting - Have Questions
I am new to this forum and have been researching composting. I live in Las Vegas and my sandy soil is void the adequate levels of organics. Adding compost once or twice per year is required. I thought, why not begin using my kitchen waste to create compost? The thought has crossed my mind previously, but here are my issues that I would like to overcome:
1. My garden is small, so based upon my research those duo models and large tumbling models will not fit into the space that remains in my garden.
2. I would like a composting device that can produce compost in 4 - 6 months. It seems that having a spinning or tumbling unit factors into how quickly useable compost is created?
3. I would like a unit that keeps as many crawling critters/bugs out as possible.
4. I do not know where to start in making compost. I know that rinsed egg shells, banana peels, vegetable remnants can be used to make compost, but it seem like it would just turn into some weird liquid like sludge.
5. I checked H.D. and it is the big box store that I will likely purchase from.
6. I grow a lot of roses, lavender, lantana, rosemary, thyme ( as shrubs), have an herb and small veggie garden.
Any advice or suggestions you can provide will be highly appreciated. The closest I have been to any compost machines are the ones being sold in Home D.