best time to transplant red oak seedling?

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)June 5, 2008

I have a Red Oak seedling that has sprouted up near my house. This is its third season judging from the looks of the stem, and is already almost 5 feet tall, it's a vigorous little thing.

At first I thought I'd just rip it out, but it's a good looking little tree, and I'd like to move it to somewhere it can grow. Would moving it in fall when the leaves drop be the best time in Maryland? Any tips/suggestions on moving it safely?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Yes, fall would be best. Water it thoroughly before you move it to make sure it is easier to dig in the area. Expect to go deep.

Get the new hole ready in advance so the plant doesn't sit out during the process.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 10:40AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Do I need to wait till leaf fall or just at the point they are showing leaf color?

I've always assumed that once a trees leaves have started to show color that it's already essentially dormant anyway, is that true?

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 10:55AM
lpptz5b

I start transplanting red oak when leaves turn red,the tree is dormant enough.I hope you are prepared for one heck of a tap root on that oak.I have transplanted some oaks that size in the past,but you can do alot of damage to the roots digging a tree that size.
I would try to dig as much of the tap root as possible,if you have to cut the tap root use a sharp knife.
Mulch and water after planting,be sure to water all fall, until you either it gets enough rain or the ground starts to freeze.You do not want ground to wet before it freezes,this could cause root damage.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 4:08PM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

I think after 5 years its more than a seedling. I transplanted a true Northern Red Oak seedling in Mid-april and it just started pushing out its second flush of leaves! I think yours would be best transplanted in the fall. Just dig as deep and wide as possible. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 11:19PM
lpptz5b

jqpublic

Wow your growing season is that far ahead of ours?In eastern WI the 2nd push of new growth on red oak will not come until mid to late june,if we have enough rain.
Maybe my advice about freezeing does'nt mean much.How deep does your ground freeze in zone7?

lp

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 8:30AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

What, you mean the ground actually still freezes somewhere? I can remember back years ago when it would freeze about 12" deep around here. Those days are gone. I bet it hasn't frozen more than a couple of inches in years.

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 9:08AM
esh_ga

Yep, no freeze here in Georgia that I know of!

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 9:17AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

It might freeze this winter if patterns continue...the last three months have shown a decisive trend towards the colder, that mimicks 1982-1985, which is the last time this happened...

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 9:48AM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

Not here :( 98 today. Tomorrow 100...sunday 100!!

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
Beautiful Trees In Bloom Around My Neighborhood.
Here is the Yoshino Cherry Tree(i think) next door....
tlbean2004
Tree Planted Too Deep - Too Late To Raise
Hi all, I've been searching for some guidance on this...
damonb10
So happy that this is the 1st spring where I don't have......
Vole damage. Burying our fences underground 6 inches...
ilovemytrees
Graft incompatibility sugar maple
Recently had a commemoration sugar maple installed...
othertime
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Sponsored Products
Ivory Helix Glam Wool Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Square Base RGB-pixelpro-bullet-sq-8 RGB PixelPro LED Bullet
EnvironmentalLights.com
Area Rug: Metro Chili Red/Pecan 7' 6" x 9' 6"
Home Depot
Chintaly Candy Contemporary Dining Side Chairs - Set of 2 - CTY1216
$194.04 | Hayneedle
Ridgely Studio Works | Spiral Nest Chandelier
YLighting