Lupines

AdamKR(5a - Wisconsin)July 23, 2013

I had to share this with you guys/gals because my Lupines turned out absolutely fantastic this year. This is their 2nd year as I started these by seed very early in 2012... This is by far one of my favorites!! Enjoy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trovesoftrilliums(5)

Gorgeous colors and they look so healthy too. What a wonderful results from a few small seeds. Thanks for posting.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 11:13PM
karin_mt(4 MT)

Yeah, I love those! Fantastic photo too, thank you for sharing it.
Are those just blooming now for you? Mine are done but some are heading toward re-bloom.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 11:24PM
a2zmom(6a - nj)

Beautiful! I never tried them since I heard they don't do well in my area.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 11:26PM
AdamKR(5a - Wisconsin)

Karin this picture was taken back on June 8th so they are pretty much all done now. The foliage remains nice and green though!

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 11:27PM
david883(5/6)

Those look AMAZING! I direct sowed a few russell hybrid seeds (I think the chatelaine - a little bit more of a pinker purple)and they're doing well but still very small. If mine look even half as good as this next year I will be EXTREMELY pleased! Especially now hearing that they may rebloom later in the season :) Thanks for sharing

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:25AM
AdamKR(5a - Wisconsin)

David, Good luck with your lupines... These just exploded this year. I will say if there is one negative to this wonderful plant is that they give one big massive bloom in early summer and then you get maybe a second very small (a couple stems) bloom a few weeks later. I have found by deadheading the spent stems after blooming that gives you a much better shot at a possible second blooming period.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:13AM
karin_mt(4 MT)

Thanks for the background info Adam. I think that is around when mine bloomed too. I don't deadhead too religiously with these because they have seeded around in just the right places. In fact, I think all the lupine we currently have are ones that have planted themselves. We have a native lupine that has also seeded itself into the gardens and it always gets to stay wherever it lands.

Thanks again for the wonderful photo!

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:24AM
AdamKR(5a - Wisconsin)

Karin, That is the thing I struggle with sometimes, do I deadhead and have them not re-seed or try and get more blooms throughout the rest of the year... I went with deadheading... hopefully I won't regret it next year.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:46AM
karin_mt(4 MT)

I hear you! It is a battle between tidiness and the surprise of new plants in unexpected places. In general I am wary of re-seeders after doing full battle with some incredibly annoying plants. But some, like lupine, get a pass. It's different for everyone's garden. I tend to deadhead plants in prominent places because I don't want to be greeted with aging seed pods every time I enter the garden. But there always seem to be a few that escape my Felcos and produce some offspring.

As a result, for a few years I had a delightful partnership of a pink/white lupine with a pink/cream columbine. It was way prettier than anything I would have come up with! Of course the downside is that these plants were growing on the path right where the hose dragged by, so I was constantly struggling to protect them. But that's the price for spontaneity, right?

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:19PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Exceptionally pretty colors!

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:46PM
linlily(z5/6PA)

I put in a dwarf Gallery Red last year and like yours, Adam, my plant exploded with flowers in late May into June. I did not dead head because I wanted to keep the seeds and I even hope for a few seed pods to open on their own so that I can have a few surprises for next year. I'm always delighted to see any volunteer lupines from year to year.

Linda

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 4:16PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Beautiful! Gorgeous colors! I grew some from seed back in the winter of 2008-09, labeled "blue perennial" and they are still going strong, and reseeding nicely. I love the blue, but I'm loving the colors you have Adam, as well.

I also enjoy the foliage on these plants. This is one of the few plants where I am just as happy with the foliage as I am the blooms!

Dee

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 9:38PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Adam, what was the cultivar name of these Lupine seeds? Is it a mix of blues and purples?

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 7:14AM
Cenepk10(7B)

I planted lupine seeds last spring. They popped up as seedlings - then petered out. They are back this year and about 4" tall. I want your results !!!!!

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
daves10
How about 'SUPERthrive'?
Anybody use this stuff? I bought it but not sure if...
casi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™