Anyone growing Helenium 'Red Jewel'?

a2zmom(6a - nj)July 27, 2012

Is the plant really as red as the pictures I've seen? How do you like the plant overall? All info appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wieslaw59

I do not know what pictures you have seen. There are many Heleniums in that colour range that are very similar to each other, nearly identical. You can check the link below, the photos on that site are usually very reliable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helenium Red Jewel

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 8:34AM
garcanad

I only have it for a couple of years. My observation so far: it started very dark red but faded very quickly to pale orange red resulting in an overall look of mixed dark red flowers to pale orange red flowers as the season progressed. Despite my disappointment in the fading, I still like its ornamental attributes of tall structure and 'non-yellowish' red colour.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 2:06PM
tuliper(7B RVA)

I planted "Red jewel" in early June, and it is now beginning to bloom. It's a very deep red with no yellow or orange whatsoever. Its almost so saturated that from across the garden it blends in. It has just popped open a few blooms so I will post pictures next week when it's in full flush. I will say that this cultivar Red jewel is sold as a vibrant fuchsia/hot pink with PURPLE centers, but mine is a dark rich burgundy with handsome brown center which I luckily like a lot. It's been extremely drought resistant for not being an established plant in full sun, especially since I've read they like generous moisture their first year. My helenium is about 3 feet tall and has an attractive compact habit. To encourage rebloom I've been advised to shear back to half stature when blooms are fading.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 5:57PM
a2zmom(6a - nj)

Wieslaw, thanks so much for that link. I wish some os those cultivarswere available here, but for some reason the selection of Helenium appears to be very limited in the US.

garcan and tupliper, I appreciate the input. Where I was thinking of planting it is in a garden that has a lot of red with blue undertones, no orange at all. Tuliper, I'd be evry curious if you could let me know if you experience the fading that garcan has experienced after a month has passed. If the plant turns orange-y, it would clash with what I currently have planted.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
Perennials visited by a variety of insects, or unusual insects
Do you have particular perennials that seem to attract...
WoodsTea 6a MO
E-mail from GW?
Did anyone else get an e-mail that was supposedly generated...
mxk3
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Mail Order Question
I would like to order some perennials on line as we...
huckdog1
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™