Compost

Joyce91(10A FL)August 21, 2014

Hello, I've been lurking here for a while because I started a compost pile back in April. I started with chopped Sea Grape Leaves, kitchen scraps and (thanks to you all) Starbucks coffee grounds. When summer rolled around I added grass clippings from the yard. I kept everything as wet as a wrung out sponge and turned every time I added., and tried not to sweat the small stuff.....and NOW I have beautiful, very dark, lovely smelling compost. I really thought this would take much longer, but I've got usable compost NOW. It must be my climate (West Central FL- closer to the equator and humid like you wouldn't believe). I'd like to thank all of you because as I did this, I would check back to this forum often and learned a lot. I'd wanted to start composting for a long while. Now I'm hooked. Soon the roses planted in my sand will have something that will catch some water and hold it for them. My part of Florida has an eighth of an inch of topsoil on top of sand. Thanks to all of you again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

If one used starbucks coffee ground, one can harvest compost every two weeks, if you want to. If you don't it can take over 6 months to harvest some.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:04PM
toxcrusadr(Zone 6a - MO)

Great news! Most of the posts here are about how to get started or how to solve problems. It's so nice to have someone say it's working. Woohoo!

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 10:24AM
Cajundaegoes(7)

I have a compost pile that I started about 3 yrs ago. I was digging out some dark compost from the bottom yesterday & found what looked like a hole dug by some animal. It was approximately 1 to 11/2 ins in diameter. Anyone know of what it could be? Should I try to get rid of it? I had grubs before, but they're gone after spraying w/nematodes. Could it be grubs again?! Also, we have rabbits around here, I see them when I walk early in the morning. I've noticed something eating out of my compost pile. I have it surrounded with 3 ft fencing. Could a rabbit jump over that fence or is it something else?

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 5:11PM
toxcrusadr(Zone 6a - MO)

That's way too big of a hole for grubs. Probably either mice, or voles. A vole is a mouse sized critter that eats grubs, worms and other insects. Either one can tunnel underneath your fence. They are not particularly harmful, and the compost pile is a biologically active place so it's not surprising to see them. If it bothers you or you don't want to encourage rodents, next time place a piece of chicken wire on the ground under your pile to keep critters from tunneling up. They are hard to keep out though, if they want in. :-]

For future reference, you can start a new thread on a new topic! More people will be likely to see it if it's not tacked on to a thread about a different topic. No worries, just an FYI.

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Want to try Stockfree/ No Animal Manure Raised Bed.
So, I want to do an experiment and try one of my raised...
babygr33nthumb2
What to do with old container soil?
I live in a very small suburban yard and must use containers...
freyja5
Clay addition to dry sand soil help
I have sugar-fine, sandy soil amended with compost....
cowchip
Unique Problem with smell
I have what I would consider a rather unique problem...
papernpaste1
Is non-organic compost OK?
Hello, I am wondering if buying compost from a small,...
kebenn2
Sponsored Products
Sun-Mar Fertilizers 16 oz. Compost Quick COMPOST QUICK (16oz)
$14.98 | Home Depot
Standing Bin Composter
$149.50 | FRONTGATE
Creative Accents Door Mats Single Picture Frame Black 22 in. x 36 in. HeavyDuty
$59.97 | Home Depot
Set of 24 Caspari Jute Paper Linen Guest Towels
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Set of 24 Caspari Romantic Toile Paper Linen Guest Towels
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Creative Accents Door Mats Bungalow 18 in. x 30 in. SuperScraper Vinyl/Coir
$26.97 | Home Depot
Seahorse Caspari Guest Towels - Blue