Perennials for under trees with shallow roots?

dirtslinger2(6)August 14, 2011

I'm looking for something to plant under an older aspen tree that can handle shade, but also can handle the horrible root system from the aspens. Any ideas?

Previously there were groundcovers (Cotoneaster/Arctostaphylos)but it is now to shady for them.

It is irrigated...

Thanks for any ideas!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Pretty difficult conditions. I'd try Geranium maccrorhizum--Bigroot Geranium. A really tough plant. If it can't make it, I don't know what would.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 6:11AM
wieslaw59

Vinca minor?

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 6:25AM
squirejohn zone4 VT

I've heard Epimedium and Lilly-of-the-Valley might work but have no first hand experience with either.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 6:49AM
gardenweed_z6a

Vinca/periwinkle grows anywhere--it's growing here in full sun, full shade & everything in between, under hydrangea & euonymus, on all four sides of my house--north, south, east & west. The lily-of-the-valley used to grow same as the vinca but I've been yanking that out relentlessly for years and even had one area of it removed with a backhoe. If those won't grow under your aspen tree, I can't think of anything that would. Neither drought nor wet have any effect on them that I've observed.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 8:38AM
WendyB(5A/MA)

Solomon's seal should do okay. The variegated kind is very pretty.

Epimediums should also do okay. I find them mostly boring though except when they are in bloom, then they are charming. Maybe I don't have the right kind. Many people love them.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 9:30AM
hunt4carl

You'll hear multiple screams of protest about this suggestion, but under
my silver maples (with notorious root systems), I have some beautiful
stands of Aegopodium (Goutweed, Bishop's Weed). The foliage is a lovely
green-and-white, flowers in early summer resemble Queen Anne's Lace;
when it starts looking a little ratty in August, I literally mow it down, and lush
new foliage returns for the rest of the season. Yes, you DO have to keep an
eye on it because it likes to run, but mine has been growing atop that root system for 15 years now and timely editing has kept it in check.

Other successes under maples: Liriope, Gallium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff), Epimedium, Stylophrum (Celadine Poppy), Vinca, Polystichum acrostichoides
(Christmas Fern), Polygonatum. . .and in the shrub department, the "hands down" winner in my garden for beating root competition has to be Nandina !

Carl

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 11:32AM
dirtslinger2(6)

Thanks for all the ideas! Can't believe at the speed they came in, much appreciated!

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 12:16PM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

"Biokovo" geranium should do well.

Chasmanthium might work.

Keep in mind anything you plant, even if tolerant of dry soil, will need some "babying" during the establishment period.

Re: Solomon's Seal: The variegated variety doesn't seem to handle tough, dry conditions as well as the plain 'ol green variety - at least not in my yard.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 3:45PM
jacquierz5bmi

Planted under my large established maple tree are hostas, Lady In Red lady fern, Japanese painted fern, variegated Solomon's Seal, Tiarella, heuchera, brunnera, and dicentra. I do water during droughts.
Jacquie

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 10:27PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Whatever you decide to plant, you'll probably find it easier if you get very small plants and scratch the holes with one of those bent-fork things instead of trying to dig. If you encounter a large root, give up on that spot, move a few inches in another direction.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 12:18PM
SusanC(9b/10a Sunset 17)

I have had good luck with Lamium galeobdolon, yellow archangel, and Japanese anemones in a similar situation. Both can be very aggressive/invasive under good garden conditions, but they behave beautifully in dry rooty shade.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 1:35PM
terrene(5b MA)

A couple of native Asters will grow under these conditions - Symphyotrichum cordifolium - Blue wood aster, and S. divaricatum, White wood Aster. They both grow and bloom quite well in the dry shade under maples. Beautiful clouds of blooms in the fall.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 8:59AM
tepelus z6a SW MI

I've read that the Gillenias will grow underneath trees with thick roots. I want to get some for myself; pretty flowers in the spring, great fall color, and best of all, they're native.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Gillenia trifoliata

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Trying any new perennials this year?
Just wondering what new perenniaks everyone is trying...
bellarosa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™