Bending rods

steve30215October 13, 2012

I have a craftsman 24hp mower that all of a sudden bent the exhaust push rod on the right cylinder, no problem ordered a new one rotated the engine in the correct direction, both valves closed on the compression stroke then 1/4 in past TDC, set rockers at .005. I then hand cranked it around and it bet it again! valve doesnt appear to be sticking and everything moves as it should so put another one in and same results. So now I have the third one in and am affraid to touch it until I can maybe get an explanation so I dont have to do this a fourth time. Any Ideas???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass1950

My experience is that the rocker arm is not traveling far enough. Bent valve stem, damaged rocker arm, wrong cam in a rebuild, etc.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 1:18PM
steve30215

Mower was bought new about 6 years ago and never has had anything wrong, oil has been changed regularly. This is the first thing that has ever happened to this mower.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 1:54PM
bill_kapaun

Since you are talking about an engine problem, you might at least post WHAT engine you have-

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 1:56PM
steve30215

Briggs 24HP model 445677-0413-E1

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 2:25PM
walt2002

First thing - check the height of the valve guide for the valve that is bending push rods. I think you will find it is extended out of the head farther than the one on the other side. It should not come out more than 1/8". IF that is the case it is most often caused by a cooling problem, plugged cooling shroud, cooling fins, though some say ethanol fuel caused the valve to stick, I have no opinion on that.

NOW, IF the valve guide is out to far the valve spring keeper will hit it and bend the push rod. B&S says the only fix is a new head. I do have a fix that only costs a head gasket. This has been tried and proven by many people. Address below, put in proper format and remind me, engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 6:32PM
twiztidpod

Walt I think you nailed it right on the head, I had one do the same exact thing and the problem was the valve guide as you suggested. Steve check the valve guide like Walt said he gives great advice that has helped me out many times. I'd be willing to be he's right on this one.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:13PM
mrdoitall(7)

Walt is right with the valve guide. I fixed my father in-laws 24hp. The first time it bent the push rod. I tapped the valve guide back down to 1/8 inch. Then cleaned the head real good and put some loctite red on the guide and head. This only worked about 4 or 5 mowing. The 2 time I fixed it I took my Mig welder and put 3 or 4 small spots of weld right next to the head on both sides of the valve guide.This has worked for over 2 years with know problems. The only other thing to do is order a new head. Just make sure it the new kind of head or you will be going through this again in about 40 to 60 hrs of mower use. They changed the head design from the old style and we have problems. Now they are making the head the old way that had know problems. Old style had a machined valve guide all one peice head. The head you have has a pressed in valve guide. The problem with that is 2 different metals expand a different temps. This let the valve guide slip over time. Good luck with your fix.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:53PM
jim109(10976)

Walt what is proper format? my engine # is 205412 type 0167e1 vave guide does look too high.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 10:19AM
mownie(7)

"Proper format" means that you use @ instead of the word "at" and you use . instead of the word dot
This is Walt's (and others) way of thwarting web crawler programs that collect e-mail addresses from websites to use for spamming.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 12:01PM
steve30215

thanks guys, It was the valve guide. I replaced the head and works like new

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 12:41PM
grass1950

My son's appears to be having the same problem, Where did you purchase your new head?

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 3:29PM
stanman818

have the same problem wiyh a 22hp. my neighbor gave up after putting in 3 pushrods. he pushed it over to my house and i tore it down and found the same thing the valve guide is up to far. any suggestion on where to buy new head.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:57PM
bill_kapaun

Download the proper IPL from the Briggs website to get the correct part#.
Google said part#.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:36PM
walt2002

"have the same problem wiyh a 22hp. my neighbor gave up after putting in 3 pushrods. he pushed it over to my house and i tore it down and found the same thing the valve guide is up to far. any suggestion on where to buy new head."

Well you could fix it, buy a good used one from me or some one else or buy a new one from any one of hundreds of venders selling B&S parts.

This post was edited by walt2002 on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 15:25

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:40PM
tombob(z6IL)

Is this a common problem with this size range of B &S?

I just bought a new Ferris that has a 24 hp B&S. I hope I dont' have to deal with this.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 9:55PM
walt2002

It is much more common with Intek than with Vanguard though both experience this occasionally. I have found that plugged cooling fins, cooling shroud, is most often the cause but some say ethanol fuel causes the valves to stick resulting in moved valve guides. I have no opinion on this.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 7:58AM
More Discussions
Assistance
I can handle the new format for Houzz, but what really...
krnuttle
John Deere 425 pto not working
I bought this tractor used,the pto worked when I bought...
thetigr36
Lawn tractor keeps cutting out
My john Deere l110 is running rough and seems to flooding...
davepoppe
Yardman He4160 13AE414E643
Hi everybody my yardman he4160 was working properly...
Linde Braber
Which lawn mower?
I posted this in the John Deere forum, but I'm wondering...
joe_ga
Sponsored Products
Foscarini | Flap 3 Wall Light
$803.00 | YLighting
BCL Paulina Curtain Rod Set - 1 in. Diameter Pole - 1PABK28
$45.98 | Hayneedle
Venetian White Faux Silk 84-inch Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Islet 17" Wide Clear Glass and Red Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Serena & Lily Chunky Linen Window Panel
Serena & Lily