growing strawberries

sustainablenickAugust 31, 2010

Going to plant Strawberries in the spring and have prepared the bed by tilling in some of my compost and covering it with some mulch to keep the weeds at bay. Everything I read on the net about growing strawberries says to add a 10-10-10 fertalizer but I'm trying to go the natural way (and just how did strawberries grow before humans? I'm quite sure the squirrels and rabbits didn't throw fertilizer around.) The compost is primarily leaves and grass clippings with some kitchen scraps. I do have access to a lot of coffee grounds if I need more nitrogen but would like to avoid that if I can.

Any thoughts? Oh, and I live in St. Louis, MO

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

People that apply something like a 10-10-10 do so because their soil does not have enough nutrients which ample quantities of compost will put into the soil. Unless a good, reliable soil test shows a need there is no good reason to spend money of "fertilizers" and then due care in that application needs to be made since those nutrietns are very soluble and can simply be washed out of the soil with water.

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 9:33AM
sustainablenick

Any suggestions on a good, reliable soil test kit?

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 6:29PM
alphonse(6)

Nick
My brother in law gave me 25 crowns towards the end of the season...I was completely unprepared. Worked as much stall muck and compost into my silty, organically devoid soil as I had and hoped for the best. The spot only gets maybe six hours of dappled sun.
That was 15 years ago. Been leap frogging runners from the originals, renovate every third year. This year's harvest was massive, couldn't pick them all, gave away truck loads.
I use COF every fall.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 6:54AM
briergardener_gw

alphonse,
what brand of COF you are using, how much you apply in fall, when in fall (early? late?) What other fall chores are needed for strawberries
I have planted strawberries last spring and now wondering what should i do with them.

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Jar Test
What's your analysis of my jar test. It seems I have...
jon2412
Kitty litter in compost
I use wheat kitty litter and we mostly flush it down...
yugoslava
Can I compost black walnut shavings and safely use the compost?
I do wood working and I use a lot of black walnut wood....
mike758
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™