Scutellaria sp Starrfire

gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)August 26, 2012

I purchased a 1 gal. Scutellaria sp Starrfire, but am having a very difficult time locating information about it. The usually informative nursery folks shrugged and said to look it up online. Even the wholesale source nursery that was listed on the container label does not have online information about this plant!

So far, I have a rough size of 1 ft. high, 15 inches wide. Zone 4-8. (Outside my zone, but I'm experimenting anyway.) Bloom period of spring through fall.

Does anyone know the desired growing conditions for this skullcap?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wieslaw59

It does not look like anything that could thrive in zone 4-8, unless it was just brought from Northern China. For me it looks rather like a tropical of some sort.I have scutellaria incana and there is a slight resemblance between the flowers of these two species. Brigth red flowers in perennials are very rare in the North. They would have been known by now in my opinion.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 4:27PM
Campanula UK Z8

very lovely though!

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 9:28AM
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

Considering my zone, liking conditions a bit more tropical would be a plus, wieslaw59. One online source hinted that it has only been infrequently available during the past couple of years, but there was nothing about the parent plant. From photos, I was thinking it most resembled S. suffrutescens (Cherry Skullcap).

You know how it is when something grabs your attention while wandering through a nursery, right campanula? ;^) I returned the next day hoping someone had not snatched them all. I've been in an experimenting mood with new garden beds to fill.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 3:03PM
Campanula UK Z8

I surely do, GyrFalcon (great name by the way). Is yours a suffrutescens? or longifolia? We only ever see blue skullcaps in the UK but having an unrequited love of all things salvia related, my interest perked up immediately. Perhaps a search for seeds might just mean some nice new additions to my scree gardens (because it is extremely unlikely I will find plants for sale, though you never know).
Apart from horticulturally, my main knowledge of skullcap relates to its powerful herbal properties.
Am continually in experimental mode (which is why my garden always looks a mish-mash.)

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 6:58AM

Unfortunately this plant was only labeled Scutellaria sp 'Starrfire', and google searches have not filled in the proper species name beyond guessing. Even guesses are welcome!

Campanula, it is always nice to meet a fellow mish-masher! lol I have been working in landscape/design for many years, but my personal garden's base always ends up with the same style--an informal mix of shrubs, perennials and whatnot mixed together. (Heck, I even have aloes growing beside my butterfly ginger!) 20% of my garden must live in constant fear of my yank and change-it-up moods; and 55% more should be afraid.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 2:36PM
auntyara(5a)

I found this. Not sure if it's what your looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 3:28PM

Thank you, auntyara. That was the site where I found the size and zones listed in the original post.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 6:53PM
a2zmom(6a - nj)

Have you tried calling High Country Gardens? They grow what they sell, so they should be able to help you.

That is a beautiful plant, by the way.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
When is the best time to divide Siberian iris?
I live in SW PA, and last year I noticed that my SIberian...
vlk20
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
...at last! Snowdrops!
I was just looking out the living room window, wondering...
woodyoak zone 5 Canada
campanula confusion!
I have a question, everyone! I've always eyed campanulas...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
spring things
replanted this as part of last years back garden renovation...
daves10z7annv
Sponsored Products
BAZZ S-Shaped 3-Light Halogen Brushed Chrome Track Light with 3 Frosted Glass Sp
$77.53 | Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs West Port SP-14 Ivory 8 ft.x 11 ft.
Home Depot
Premier Sonoma Two-handle Oil Rubbed Bronze Kitchen Faucet with Matching Side Sp
Overstock.com
Vistosi | Diadema SP 18 Pendant Light
YLighting
Trenton Satin Platinum Three-Light LED Bath Fixture
$159.50 | Bellacor
Runner Rug: Spectrum SP01 Black 2' 3" x 8'
Home Depot
VerPan | Spiral SP1 Pendant Light
YLighting
Tivoli Satin Nickel Four-Light Ceiling Light
$172.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: