How do I root clippings from Diamond Frost Euphorbia?

GROWCHEMOME(7a)August 14, 2014

Hi everyone :)

I'm pretty new here and very new to perennials as well as propagation. If anyone would be willing to share the steps you follow to get successful roots from the cuttings of Diamond Frost Euphorbia that would be awesome!

So far, I've taken a few clippings and removed the lower leafs then submerged them in water and sat them in a sunny window indoors. It's been about 10-12 days but nothing has happened except the leaves turned yellow, some fell off and some of the buds fell off. Plus there was some kind of white/almost clear mold or something growing in the water and on some of the leaves/buds that had fallen in.

I've removed all leaves and buds, cleaned the mason jars and filled them back up with fresh water then put them in an even sunnier window.

Is there anything I did/didn't do that has caused them not to root yet?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone willing to share some tips or what works for them! Rachel

PS. I can share some photos later on in the week if that would help.

I also know these are not allowed to be propagated for profit, but I'm pretty sure it's fine for my own personal use at home.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

The link below provides information on Diamond Frost Euphorbia. According to the information on the site, it is hardy to Z10 but can be grown in colder zones and treated as an annual.

I normally don't root cuttings to produce additional plants. I haven't found it to be a reliable method of filling my garden beds. I have enjoyed my purchased euphorbias, both the species polychroma and a purple cultivar 'Bonfire.'

Is there anything I did/didn't do that has caused them not to root yet?

Chances are you don't factor into the equation other than to be patient. If they're going to propagate they will.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia hyperciciolia 'Inneuphe'

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:55AM
GROWCHEMOME(7a)

Gardeners:

That seems to be the one thing I'm running low on.....patience ; ) Seriously, I need to try to add that virtue to my strengths! I'm definitely still trying to root them but it might take a while to figure it out on my own. You know what they say work smarter not harder. That's why I thought I'd cheat and just ask around to all those folks who have already put in the hard work.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 1:59PM
gardenweed_z6a

Learn to take pride & enjoy satisfaction with your garden successes, big and small. I began designing my garden beds in 2006. They were "finished" and looking like the pictures in my head by 2011, mostly thanks to winter sowing. Now I look them and wonder what I'm supposed to do from here on?

Gardening teaches patience since plants have their own agendas and timetables but the rewards of learning are well worth the effort.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
daves10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™