Soil Conditioner

fivemurfs(6.5 TN)August 12, 2008

I've tried all sorts of mulches over the years for my perennial beds and the one I like best comes in bags at Lowes, labeled soil conditioner. It keeps down the weeds, decomposes slowly (unlike pine needles) doesn't rob the plants of nitrogen (like Midnight Black mulch), stays loose (unlike some mulches that harden on top and prevent water from penetrating) smells good and has a nice light consistency.

This is only the second year I've used it, and I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what it is made of and what are the long term negatives and/or benefits.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

It should say somewhere on the bag, usually in fine print somewhere near the bottom of the bag, what it is made of. Pine fines are often sold as soil conditioner, and my guess is that that's what you have. It's very small pieces of pine bark, about fingernail size and even smaller.

However, I once bought a bag of something labeled soil conditioner which was a rock type material, similar to vermiculite.

Karen

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 6:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west9491(6)

If i'm not mistaken I've seen and bought bags of "compost" at lowes, and some of the bags came from a diff. company or something and I think it was labeled soil conditioner.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
No till garden/no weeds?
Is there a good way to keep weeds down in an established...
hummersteve
Fungus in compost
This pile was started about 3 weeks ago. It is overun...
jon2412
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
What's wrong with frozen compost?
A couple times a week I take a pail of veg scraps from...
tomtuxman
Patio Composting
Would like to start composting in a small patio area...
ecodonnell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™