need help with a seed id

rbrady(5/Eastern Ia)January 18, 2012

I wintersowed these seeds and was wondering if anyone recognizes them? It is a funny story fitting for the "you know your addicted posts". My mother went for a Sunday drive a couple weeks ago and came upon an area that had a Kentucky Coffee tree. She wanted some of the pods so we stopped to collect them. As we were searching for pods on the ground she found these seeds. Needless to say they have passed through some animals digestive track. I still chuckle to myself when I think we picked up poop for the seeds. Anyway, they are hard and red and we found them in Illinois on the roadside. The area is mostly farmland with patches of vegetation (hedgerows).

Thanks for the help!

Rhonda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dem_pa

Could they be rose hips?

Don

Bookmark   January 19, 2012 at 8:27AM
jeanne

Hi Rhonda,

IMO those are too small to be KCT seeds but in case they are you need to get the tough outer covering off for it to germinate. I knicked mine all over with little hacksaw cuts (I used a clamp as well) and repeated soaked them in hot water. It took perhaps two weeks to get the coating off all of them, it's like they are shrink wrapped in #1 plastic. The seeds swell wherever the water can soak in, by the time you get most of the coating off it's about the size of a extremely lumpy buckeye.

If you can cut right into the seed it's probably not KCT.

HTH,
Jeanne

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 8:39AM
plantmasterm(z7)

IMHO they look like hyacinth bean

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 8:11PM
ricjo22(5)

those look like staghorn sumac seeds to me but do the red coats rub right off. If they dont then they are not staghorn.Staghorn has a red coat over a white one covering a grey seed. good luck Ric

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
Stopping by to say Hello
Hello to all the Winter Sowers I just dropped by to...
richdelmo
Can I really, really wintersow tomatoes?
I wintersowed in my old garden for several years and...
nonconformist_nymphette
seeds already started?
I've started several seeds in paper cups and put in...
sorie6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™