Pennisetum 'Red Bunny Tails' Annual or Perennial?

GROWCHEMOME(7a)August 14, 2014

Hi everyone

I'm new to Perennials but I absolutely love the ornamental grass that we bought this year. I found the Red Bunny Tail grass on the Garden Crossings site that I was thinking about buying when I order my grape lantana. It's listed on their site as an annual but the hardiness zone is 7-11 and I'm located in 7a. It's still a little confusing but does that mean it will be a perennial for me but anyone 6 or under it would be an annual?

Thanks so much! Rachel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

I'm no botanist but in my experience annual plants generally sprout, grow, bloom then die once frost nips them when the weather turns cold. Perennials on the other hand send up new growth in spring, bloom during their annual growth cycle, then go dormant once frost nips them when the weather turns cold. They return from year to year and repeat the process.

Pennisetum is an ornamental grass commonly referred to as fountain grass. There are several cultivars. 'Hameln' is a perennial cultivar. ' Red Bunny Tails' is an annual cultivar that may perform as a perennial in Z7 - see the link below for more information. It would likely be an annual in my Z6 garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pennisetum messiacum

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
What groundcover would you mix with Helleborus?
I'd like to plant a new bed of hellebores, but I'm...
magpiepix 5b/6a
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
When is the best time to divide Siberian iris?
I live in SW PA, and last year I noticed that my SIberian...
vlk20
species tulips
the red is a new seedling less than an in. across.
daves10z7annv
Please help me figure out what this perennial is called:)
I got this on clearance from lowes a couple years ago...
mrsmodernhousewife
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™