Malvaviscus arboreus rosea - turkscap

Campanula UK Z8August 4, 2014

I have always been drawn to the mallow family and grow numerous specimens (which thrive in my sandy hot soil). Despite incredibly generous offers of seeds (Tex, Mara), I still found myself ordering pink turkscap seeds. I planted 4 fat seeds and lo, 3 (so far) large, plump cotyledons have emerged....and I am now a bit flustered. What to do, what to do? To be sure, ordering these was a triumph (?) of hope over experience...but I did have several abutilons overwintering outside without undue stress, for years (till boredom - the biggest plant killer of all in my garden, got the better of me). Still, this plant is a complete unknown to me so do tell, those of you who grow these mallows (I was mainly taken by the promise of shady potential.........although I would draw a line at planting this in the woods.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogrose_tx

I have the giant red turkscap in my flowerbed, it gets morning sun, afternoon shade. Love this plant, but for me it is slowly invasive, and hard to get out! The hummers love it, and it is so healthy.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:09AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It will grow into an area. multiplying at the base, stoloniferously.. It is slow where I am but things are rough here. It might be different in Englandâ¦Ogrose, is in Dallas and they have clay based soils that are richer.. I would give it shade with some sun, more sun than shade in England. That is a guess made in reaction to your temporate temperatures.. It will be plenty hardy there. Mine has not bloomed yet this year. Strange. The red is blooming in town , but they have not formed seed yet. I have had my eye on clumps to gather some seed for you. They should grow easily. They are very tolerant and flexible plants, growing across different soil types and rain changes. They grow from Central Texas across east Texas, Louisiana and into Florida but I think they are less the further east one goes. They are happier with a bit more water and a deeper soil than I have. They grew fast and bug when I lived in town on clay.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 3:30AM
river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana

Hi, my goal here is to share pictures. The red turkscap is at a local historical house where my Master Gardener group does volunteer work. Please take advice from others who actually grow it in their yards and know more about its culture.

Planted some years ago by the Master Gardener group the turkscap is a HUGE mass beloved by hummingbirds and admired by tourists.

Pictures taken Aug 5, 2014 at Kent House (1796), Alexandria, Louisiana, z8b, heat zone 9, central Louisiana. As ogrose notes above: morning sun, afternoon shade. This location also has many shadows and is near 2 fig trees. As wantonamara notes turkscap is a native plant in Louisiana.

NOT MY HOUSE!

Another picture, Folsom Native Plant Society, near Covington, Louisiana

House furnished with beautiful period antiques, outbuildings with extensive displays of various molds and farming tools:
Visit Kent House (1796) and learn about life in a French Creole family in the early 1800âÂÂs

This post was edited by river_crossroads on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 13:46

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
NEWBIES: stay out of your garden
ALL NEWBIES .... I KNOW YOU HAVE THE FEVER.... the...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
campanula confusion!
I have a question, everyone! I've always eyed campanulas...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
Dieing Elephant Ear?
I bought a Black Magic elephant ear about 4 months...
addisonf
2015 Garden Resolutions
Each year for the past few I say that I am going to...
rouge21_gw
Why all the old stuff?
I'm curious--why am I seeing so many resurrected posts...
Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™