Small and pretty

daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metresAugust 11, 2014

I have got a thing about Origanum rotundifolium.
I just find them so fascinating and pretty.
I only have one variety, but would love more.
This one ( I am not sure which variety it is) has been flowering since May.
Does anyone else grow them?

I also have the similar Cretan dittany, Origanum dictamnus, which grows wild all over the neighbourhood.
It was named after Mount Dikti, a mountain nearby. It grows on the steep slopes. Young men are given the job of harvesting it from the steep and dangerous mountainsides.
Daisy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

There's a local plant that you could try...a relative, American Dittany (Cunila origanoides), it's much less refined (lol).

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:47AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I tried growing Origanum rotundifolium, I think 'Kent Beauty', a couple of years ago as a potted plant and it wasn't happy, never getting much larger than the original plant, and only blooming for a short time. I think it needs warmer and less humid nights than we have to thrive, probably the reason I don't see it for sale locally. Photos like yours were what made me try it, but I think I'll just enjoy your photos!

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:57AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

That is beautiful, daisy. I wanted to try it after seeing a photo in a gardening book, but never really got around to finding it offered anywhere. I'll have to look for seeds.
Thank you for posting the pictures.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:12AM
jadeite(6/7)

Daisy, your oregano is gorgeous. I tried Kent Beauty but it just fried in our summer heat. I have the regular species now in a more protected area, and it is growing but has yet to produce any of the pretty bracts or flowers. Yours is unusual, I haven't seen any with purple flowers. Kent Beauty is a soft lavender pink, and most of the pictures of the species are also pinkish.

Cheryl

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 2:31PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I find all of my oreganos appreciate some shade for part of the day in Texas heat. I have dittany of crete growing in a pot again. My big plant died in the bad cold front of 2011. I hear that we are up for another bad winter this year. I guess I will pull it close to the house. I love the grey/silver fuzzy leaves. It is still small but growing nicely and blooming up a storm..

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:12PM
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

Origanums (sigh) One of the few plants I buy over and over, hoping for a better result next time. Kent Beauty, O. dictamnus... They may grow a few years, but never look as lovely, nor get as large, as they do in photographs. Your plant is beautiful.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 2:01AM
daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres

I am surprised that they cannot take the Texan sun Cheryl.
Mine sit out in the full Mediterranean sun all the time.
I have found this one to be very forgiving of poor treatment. I wouldn't expect them to take a harsh winter, but they grow well in England as they do here.
It has been in the same pot for 9 years. It travelled across Europe with me, when I moved from England 7 years ago.
I split it a few years ago and put each pot of it at each end of the pond.
My neighbour who watered my pots for me, when I had to visit England for 2 weeks, overlooked them, so when I returned they looked dead. They came back from the dead though and have looked good ever since.
Daisy

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 8:05AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My Latitude is 5 degrees further south than Creete and even though our continental mass has us colder in the winter, the sun is a bugger in the summer.I found the Mediterranean sun bright but gentle. We are on par with Cairo. You average about 10-20 F 0 degrees less then us in summer (98- 103F this week). It makes a difference to the plants. Jadite in New Mexico has your latitude and similar highs but her humidity is way down and the evaporation rate is murderous in the sun.

My plant of Dittany maybe can be pushed out further into the sun , now that it is bigger. I take it carefully.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
daves10
How about 'SUPERthrive'?
Anybody use this stuff? I bought it but not sure if...
casi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™