Westerland growing well after winter

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)June 10, 2014

My Westerland is doing well so far after having to cut it back to the ground in April! Thank god it will make it! It is an own root rose too. I have surrounded it with my make shift chipmunk/squirrel cage protector! lol I think I may have to remove it soon, though, as the rose is outgrowing the cage!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Wow, it's grown pretty tall again already! My friend in Northern Mich. says hers is doing qell too.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:18PM
bunnicula03(z6b NJ)

Looking good!

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:38PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Westerland is still fighting to recover from a long cold winter here. Many of the canes which survived seem weakened. The new growth from the ground is quite vigorous however. One cane has already grown 4'.

My problem is worsened because the Venosa Violacea clematis which shares the arbor is now 8' and reaching the top with a thick mat of vines. I have to knit vines each morning in order to give Westerland enough sun to continue growing.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 1:22PM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

My own root 'Westerland', growing in much more shade than it would like and in an intensively planted bed with a lot of competition, had a good amount of winter die back this year. It was left with only about 12 inches of green cane after spending the winter with no mulch or protection. It is now looking extremely healthy and is growing vigorously, currently about 4 feet by 4 feet and just about to open its first blooms. While not my favorite rose, I enjoy its searing orange color, sweet fragrance and health.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
vigorosa roses
As I continue my research on roses that will work in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Roses for two spots in the PNW
Hello! I'm in zone 8 near Seattle and I've got two...
nonconformist_nymphette
Which William Shakespeare Do I Have? Can WS be grown as climber?
I'm not sure which WS (Austin) I have and am wondering...
cjrosaphile
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
am I too impatient w already-leaved bareroot in container?
hello! My bareroot had already leaved out quite nicely...
Need2SeeGreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™