Bougainvillea for compost or mulch?

doginthegardenSeptember 17, 2013

With several large bougainvilleas around our yard and garden, we have a LOT of leaf and petal debris, some that blows into the vegetable garden area. I've searched on this but have not yet found any info so I thought I would ask here.....does anyone have experience or opinions about use of bougie leaves for compost? for mulch? We have a shredder but I don't think it will shred well, as the leaves are already pretty small. But they do not seem to decompose very fast, where piled up against a fence, etc.

I had thought that I'd read that bougie is poisonous, but I must have dreamed that since I haven't found it again. But I'm curious and thought I'd ask about it before putting it into the compost bin.

Thanks sbmw

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The leaves should cause no problems whatsoever when used for compost. I'd be cautious, however, about handling any chips from the woody part of the plant. The sap can cause pretty serious dermatitis in sensitive individuals.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 12:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
batyabeth

And the thorns are a b**tch! I wouldn't want those thorns anywhere near me, my compost or my garden.

I didn't know that about the sap, good to know.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 3:08AM
More Discussions
Using Compost as Mulch
I have a large perennial and rose garden. I have used...
spinach
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary Cotterill
Seeking help/tips for a raised bed that's out of control with weeds...
Hi there, I have a raised bed garden. 3 years ago,...
toomanyaccounts
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
Gorilla hair?
I'm wondering about pros and cons of using redwood...
cakbu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™