The real Sallie Holmes

lou_texas(8a N Central TX)June 26, 2012

I don't know if any of you get the Moosey Country Garden Blog from New Zealand, but this bit in the June letter is interesting to to me since I grow the Sallie Holmes rose. I thought it might be interesting to you as well. Hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws to quote Moosey:

"At the end of April 2012 the Reverend Amanda Boon wrote to me from England, with news of the passing of Sally Holmes. The family has kindly given their permission for me to include this news on my Sally Holmes rose page.

"'Sally was born in Northern Ireland in the 1920s and married Robert Holmes in 1944. They lived in Yorkshire for a while before settling in Stockport, Cheshire. Robbie was a rose breeder and named the rose after his deeply loved wife.' Sally Holmes: died April 12th 2012."

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

How wonderful his tribute to his loving wife turned out to be such a world-rose. I remember Ralph Moore telling how touching it was to find the mini he named for his daughter (Mona Ruth) widely grown in Israel on a visit there. I can imagine their pleasure in reading of "her rose" and encountering it around the world. Bless her, and him. I'm happy her rose proudly keeps her memory alive. Kim

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 7:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bloomeriffic

Do you know of any other roses bred by Robert ? I only know of Sally Holmes and Fred Loads. Still trying to get to know Fred. The image of the bouquets are impressive!
Looks just like Sally Homes but in its own unique color.
Cannot find any sites for Robert Holmes either.

This post was edited by bloomeriffic on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 16:23

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Roses from highcountry roses - really disappointed
I received my roses from highcountryroses today. It...
bluehaven_gweb
Roses for two spots in the PNW
Hello! I'm in zone 8 near Seattle and I've got two...
nonconformist_nymphette
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
Rainbow Happy Trails
My local nursery has a rose named Rainbow Happy Trails....
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™