removing a worn mandrel

chrissymustangOctober 27, 2009

craftsman dyt 4000. My mandrel on the left side is shot--the star pattern is worn down/off. So the blade is off since it spins freely, How do I remove the nut on top of the pulley? I've used a piece of wood on the right side blade but the pulley just slips on the belt when I apply pressure on the wrench. There's nothing on the bottom side of the shaft to keep it from turning. Ideas??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Easiest way is w/ an impact wrench. Not in your tool box? Try to hold the pulley with the gripping the belt near the pulley of the mandrel you are trying to remove. That usually works. Or do you have an old belt around you could twist tightly around that pulley using a bar to hold it. If the rest of the mandrel is good, you can save yourself a bit of work and expense by replacing the shaft kit. If you go this route, leave the spindle mounted to the deck.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 4:39PM
markymark-ca

I just rebuilt a deck on a 4000

Not that bad, just a matter of dropping the deck on the ground, then sliding it out from under the unit.

All bolts sheered off on the old mandrels. But the new mandrels had new bolts!

I did replace the two idler pulley's on TOP of the deck,

Whole process was $50 bucks (Ebay bought) and 2 hours with some beer sipping in between/

New blades too

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 4:57PM
chrissymustang

no impact wrench and no old belt. funny thing is i just replace the belt and the old one got tossed a couple weeks ago. I had tried holding the belt, squeezing the loop together but to no avail. I intend to keep the housing assembly attached to the deck and just replace the shaft, if I can get the nut off.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 5:09PM
tomplum

The guy at the local tire shop may just pop that off quick w/ his impact wrench for a thank you. You can reinstall it yourself by holding the blade.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 5:31PM
marinosp(VIC. Aust)

I just done that same job on a 42" Craftsman deck (right mandrel). I made a tool which features two lengths of bar steel 5mm in diameter spaced fara apart to fit in the two wholes in the pulley itself. Used rathced to turn pulley nut whilst pushing with the tool the other way

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 11:37PM
tomplum

Neat idea marinosp.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 12:37AM
mownie(7)

Here is an example of a "market available" tool that employs the concept used by marinosp. In the States, this is known as an "Adjustable pin, face spanner, wrench". I'm sure there are a number of other monickers for it as the term "spanner" evokes a very different tool in the U.K. and elsewhere.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 11:14AM
tomplum

Mownie has all the cool stuff!

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Craftsman rider safety switches
I have a Craftsman mid-engine riding mower with a briggs...
LRM2
Hydrostatic Drive Problems??
Craftsman 20.5 HP Kohler Command V twin Under the seat...
jthievin
Plug vs. Spike aerators?
Plug vs. Spike aerators Why would someone use one over...
cjsm5nys
Seized Ariend Snowthrower???
My dad has an Ariens 24" 6hp 2 stage snowthrower,...
andrelaplume2
Time for a new tractor
According to the shop my JD L110's transaxle is on...
Key Design
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™