Speedwell Leaves Turning Black

tpl108August 19, 2014

I have four Speedwell/veronica Royal Candles in my garden. Two planted this year and two last year. After flowering, the leaves on all plants started turning black from the top down. Interestingly, the leaves on a pink variety of speedwell remain unaffected. I have since removed the affected leaves and new growth has emerged that so far is unaffected. Is this typical with this plant? It's been some years since I have had speedwell and I never remember them being affected? Any tips for control?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Have you had a lot of rain this year or really high humidity? It could be a fungal problem that will go away in drier weather.

I have a salvia that does this every year. After blooming, the foliage turns black until the entire plant looks dead, but it returns good as ever the next year.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 5:25PM
southerngardening24

I am having the same issue with my speedwells. The pink one isn't as bad as the others. I am giving them another year and if the problem persists they will go to the compost pile.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:06PM
lilsprout

My salvia do the same thing, and shortly after the basal foliage appears. I cut all the ugly stuff off, and the basal foliage takes over growing lush and green!

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
How about 'SUPERthrive'?
Anybody use this stuff? I bought it but not sure if...
casi
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™