Crack in trunk of October Glory Maple

RedRayderz01June 16, 2014

Hi All,

I had a 3 inch caliper, 15-17 foot tall October Glory Maple planted in April. I was watering it last week and noticed there was a 12 inch or so crack/line in the trunk (see pic attached). This crack faces South / SouthEast -- so I'm not sure if it is sun scald or what (the Tree Farm I boug the tree from said it was hard to tell but maybe it was sun scald -- I sent them pictures. They said usually sun scald happens on the west facing part of the trunk).

Anyways, just wondering if anyone knows what may have caused this and if I need to do anything / will it be a problem for the tree.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RedRayderz01

Here is another picture of the tree zoomed out so you can see the whole thing.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 1:53PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Probably a frost crack that occurred in winter, and as the trunk grew and expanded, showed itself this summer.

As to what will happen - about 50% of the time the tree can heal it and recover. Best advice is to keep an eye on it.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 2:31PM
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

I have seen many of those on my 2 red/silver maple hybrids, and it doesn't seem to bother them. Just keep good care for your tree, and it will probable be fine.

Arktrees

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 3:11PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

inform the seller.. and ask his advice ... and i see you did ... is it warrantied???

insure proper water for up to 3 years ... it will recover.. if it gets re-established ... and begins to thrive ...

the crack is in the bark.. not in the trunk ...

see link for watering suggestions ... ask whatever you dont understand ...

healthy trees heal themselves ... encapsulate... no goos ... no fert.. no incantations... no nude dancing around it.. it will take care of itself ...

presuming it was not potted at that size.. your biggest problem.. is not knowing what happened to the root mass on digging it for transplant ... but all you can do.. is water properly ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Trimming a ficus tree
I saw an ad online of someone locally selling their...
L A
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™