pesticides receipt-of-requests-to-voluntarily-cancel-certain-pest

henry_kuskaJune 26, 2013

New EPA Notice of receipt of requests to voluntarily cancel certain pesticides.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

Several Imidicloprid compounds there . . .

But, SULFUR? That surprises me.

Jeri

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 6:58PM
nickl(Z7a NJ)

Jeri:

You have to understand what this notice means. ALL pesticides have to follow specific EPA regulations - no exceptions.

This notice means that a particular manufacturer has voluntarily decided they don't want to comply with the specific EPA regulations. By itself, it doesn't mean anything for or against that particular pesticide and/or the active ingredient

Many of those on the list are simply there for economic reasons, The manufacturer is not making enough money on its version of the product and doesn't want to go though the expense of compliance.

It also may be that other manufacturers produce the same product.

For example: You'll notice that Clorox cleaner (active ingredient- sodium hypochlorite) is on the list. I fully expect that you will able to continue to buy laundry bleach (active ingredient- sodium hypochlorite) after January 2014 ;-)

This is a different situation from when the EPA ITSELF issues a notice that they are cancelling the registration on a product and/or an active ingredient.

This post was edited by nickl on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 9:01

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:00AM
henry_kuska

nicki stated: "This is a different situation from when the EPA ITSELF issues a notice that they are cancelling the registration on a product and/or an active ingredient."

H.Kuska comment. Please notice the following from a 2006 government document: "EPA officials say the actâÂÂs legal standards for demonstrating unreasonable risk are so high that they have generally discouraged EPA from using its authorities to ban or restrict the manufacture or use of existing chemicals. Since Congress enacted TSCA in 1976, EPA has issued regulations to ban or limit the production of only five existing chemicals or groups of chemicals."

-----------------------------------------------

nickl, of course your original statement is formally correct that the manufacturer may have decided to cancel on its own. However, it is my impression that the EPA often/always? gives a manufacture with a problem chemical the chance to not reapply (sort of to save face), and as stated above in the testimony quote rarely has utilized the second option.

Thus, the general public cannot say why a product is not reregistered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Actions Are Needed to Improve the Effectiveness of EPAâs Chemical Review Program

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Which William Shakespeare Do I Have? Can WS be grown as climber?
I'm not sure which WS (Austin) I have and am wondering...
cjrosaphile
To Pascali or not?
I'm contemplating planting a hedge of roses and my...
kublakan
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™