too late to WS greens?

ellenrr(7a)February 22, 2013

Hi everyone,
I just started this years sowing. My first - dandelions---yum.
I also have in mind- broccoli, lettuce, argula, - I've WS'ed them before, they are marvously easy to WS. But I'm wondering if this is too late - I know they do not like warm weather.

thanks,
ellen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrene(5b MA)

Well I don't know where you live, but here in eastern Mass we still have about 1 foot of snow on the ground, and another foot coming this weekend! So NOTHING is sprouting and growing anyway, no matter how cool the plants like the weather.

Do you have stuff emerging or growing in the gardens yet?

Dandelions huh - we got plenty of those around here, without having to sow them in containers!

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 6:39PM
4SEASONca(Western NC 6)

I'm new to this forum. Can you acturally sow certain varieties this early? What are some of the varieties that you sow this time of year? I usually think of 4-season gardening from the fall end of things, I guess. I've alway sown a large amount of kale, collard, rape, in the late summer for all-winter harvest here in Western NC. But I'd love the idea of sowing now and having things succeed in germinating and getting a good start.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 8:12PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

4SEASON, this is not direct sowing in winter, but sowing into containers like milk jugs and 2L bottles then putting the containers outside and letting nature take its course. The FAQ will explain the whole process pretty thoroughly.

Ellen, unless you're having an unusually warm winter I don't see why you couldn't do greens. None of my lettuce or broccoli has sprouted and they're usually among the first.

Caryl

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 7:03AM
drippy(7bAL)

I hope it's not too late! I have some lettuce sprouting, but it's still pretty cold here in North Alabama. I'm not motivated to plant anything out yet, especially as we're having a dusting of snow tonight. Maybe by next weekend, but in the meantime, I think I'll sow some cress, endive, and Chinese greens.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #1:
This is the first thread in the official Winter Sowing...
ladyrose65
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
Trying again after 10 years..
Hollyhocks, hibiscus, yarrow, delphinium, lychinis,...
CEFreeman_GW
When to sow annuals?
Do you think it is a valid rule of thumb to use the...
smdmt
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™