Scotts riding mower

jlmurphyOctober 18, 2009

I have recently acquired a used Scotts 15 hp, 42" cutting deck, riding mower. Model no. 42531X7. It is at least 10 years old and was purchased to replace my 20 year old Montgomery Ward mower of unknown mfg. ( MTD ? ). The Scotts is generally better constructed and in much better shape than the old mower. My mechanic neighbor, who has more experience with mowers than I, believes the Scotts brand was manufactured by John Deere at one time, but I have been unable to find any information on the Web, can anyone shed some light on the history of this mower?

jlmurphy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johninmd

i asked here awhile back about son N laws Scotts, it was made by JD, but it also has a decal stating JD on it.

Should be able to find that post by searching

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 7:41PM
tomplum

Your tractor is actually an earlier one made by Murray. Do you need parts lists or are looking for anything specific?

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 8:36PM
bushleague(MA)

The earlier Scotts were Murray's mfgd for HD. You know the easiest way to differentiate the two is that Murray machines have the fuel tank behind the engine, John Deere machines are behind the seat. Parts support is excellent for these since Briggs and Stratton bought Murray, and you can search for parts right on HD's site.

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 5:44PM
tomplum

Actually the easiest way is when the Deere dealer tells you to take it elsewhere. At least they do by me. No Murray or Craftsman for that matter."Due to parts availability" it claims, but we know better. I have found a few Murray things that are nla though but generally Briggs did a good job. BTW Deere built Scotts can have an under hood fuel tank.

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 1:15AM
More Discussions
Craftsman 917.289244 - Starter will not turn the flywheel
I am working on a Craftsman 917.289244 with starting...
cjlawson9
Time for a new tractor
According to the shop my JD L110's transaxle is on...
Key Design
Craftsman LT 1000
Craftsman rider LT 1000 917.271851 032502D005822 Engine:...
RSch110856
Assistance
I can handle the new format for Houzz, but what really...
krnuttle
Seized Ariend Snowthrower???
My dad has an Ariens 24" 6hp 2 stage snowthrower,...
andrelaplume2
Sponsored Products
Trombone Cocktail Shaker - Nick Munro
$89.00 | HORNE
Reve Bed
Design Within Reach
Carpyen | Scott Ceiling Light
$280.00 | YLighting
Scott Monument
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Scott Silver Color Glass Mirror
Overstock.com