Zone 5 Newbie interested in Z5 best practices

Gertrude1(6)February 6, 2014

I'm a winter sowing virgin in Zone 5. I'm interested in hearing from others in Zone 5 regarding when you start specific veggies, veggies that do well in Zone 5 winter sowing, veggies to avoid; and other Zone 5 best practices.

T

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I am a zone 5 wintersowers, but I sow mostly flowers and plants to support wildlife habitat. Most cool weather veggies do wonderfully with wintersowing. Lettuce, radishes, broccoli, spinach, herbs, etc. do very well. Even tomatoes do well. They may start out smaller than store-bought plants, but their healthy root systems allow them to catch up with hothouse plants and they are less susceptible to disease. Hopefully, someone more experienced will speak up.

Martha

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 6:44AM
tempusflits

I'm not that experienced at gardening or winter sowing, but I have tried a trick with tomatoes that I like. I plant them just as usual for winter sowing, Then I set the pots outside in the daytime and bring them in each night until night-time temps are safe to leave them outdoors.. I get a good jump on the growing season this way. I know this method might be frowned upon by some people, but it works very, very well for me.

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 9:52AM
tempusflits

I usually usually plant them the first or second week of March. It's been brutally cold here this year, so I might delay them this year. Only time will tell.

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
seeds already started?
I've started several seeds in paper cups and put in...
sorie6
Can you re-use the potting soil from last year?
I have some milk jugs left from last year. Can I use...
jd101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™