Tree dropping yellow 'flowers'

scottmarJune 23, 2014

I am tree-challenged. I know nothing about them. But three large trees on the side of our house have thousands (no, billions) of small 'crowns' or 'flowers' hanging upside-down from the leaves ready to attack us with help from the wind. They drop at a fast rate, and get all over everything. Not dust, but little crowns with a stem. Our shoes crush them and invite them to meet our carpets, and we seem to be the only ones within many blocks to have such trees. (Need directions to our house? Follow the yellow-crown road!)
What are they, is there anything I can do, and do they make barbecued food taste better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

How about a picture?

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 3:12PM
scottmar

I'm also computer-picture challenged...don't know how to do that. But if it's any help, the crown looks like a small fleur-de-lis symbol...well, sort of. More like a crown with a stem.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 3:22PM
DeClercq

Golden Rain Tree?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

This post was edited by DeClercq on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 19:44

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 3:30PM
smivies

@DeClercq

The photo link you provided is of the Golden Chain Tree, not the Golden Rain Tree. I agree though, likely Golden Rain Tree.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 4:43PM
scottmar

How did a tree native to eastern Asia get on my block? No, looking at the pictures, that's not it. It looks like a regular oak like on any American street. And BTW, I didn't mention that last year, black bumblebees tried to feast on these crowns, and we had a load of dead bumblebees to clear away after a few days.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 5:03PM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Are they lindens? If so, these fragrant flowers are beloved of bees, so I am not sure why they caused so many bumblebees to die?

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 6:26PM
poaky1

Tulip tree? Are they blooming yet? Liriodendron Tulipfera, a Magnolia relative. Probably not it, but my best guess.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 7:08PM
arbordave (SE MI)

ispahan may be correct - there are reports that silver linden flowers are toxic to some types of bees, though I've never observed this myself.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 9:04PM
salicaceae(z8b FL)

Its not the Lindens that are toxic, its the insecticide imidicloprid that has killed bees by way of flowers on treated trees.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 10:13PM
arbordave (SE MI)

Dirr (Manual of Woody Landscape Plants) says,
âÂÂConsiderable German literature that points to honeybee and bumblebee death after sampling the nectar of T tomentosa, T petiolaris, T dasystyla, T x euchlora and others. One paper recommended that T cordata, T platyphyllos, and T x europaea be no longer utilized in urban areas in Germany.âÂÂ

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 12:33PM
gardengal48

Sounds exactly like a linden. Tilia cordata is very appealing to bees and generally considered safe. Tree in question could be Tilia tomentosa or silverleaf linden (lime), which is quite toxic to bumblebees but supposed nontoxic to honeybees.

As to how a tree from eastern Asia might get on your block is that it was intentionally planted :-)) Same as a tree native to the Balkans or Turkey got there. Trees with origins from far distant locations are not at all unusual in American gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: flower images of Tilia tomentosa

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 4:17PM
scottmar

Hmmm....getting closer, I guess. Looking at picture number 3 of 7 on this site:
http://reclaimbeauty.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-linden-tree-flower-and-its-fragrance.html
The yellow 'flowers' on mine are a bit smaller and more tightly packed, meaning each crown doesn't have spread yellow buds, but is more stiff and together. And there are a lot more green leaves, with clusters of flowers hanging only upside down, looking like dining room lights (yellow bulbs surrounded by green facing down on a table.) . Very thick trunk on mine, and I only see bees near the clusters which already fell off. And they seem to fall off almost all at one (like within a week).

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
Help me identify stem/branch?
Hi, I just joined and am usually in the rose section,...
msdorkgirl
Growing Hickory and Hican for Nut Production (3)
Continuing from part 1 and 2 (maximum posts reached) Good...
gardener365
Two trees start blooming in milder climate ...
I know the first is Hong Kong orchid. I forget the...
jujujojo_gw
Alder tree has bark curling, cracking, and falling off
One of the Alder trees on our property in northern...
rocko_54
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™