help! what am I doing wrong?
hi, I'm a newbie in rose growing and obsessing over it! My weekend house in Palm Springs (CA) has some 10 or so rose bushes and I got interested in caring for them back in late March. I've done research online, and tried to follow common advice, but I must be doing something wrong, because I'm getting very uneven results:
- I did basic pruning back in late March; removed dead/weak canes, old foliage, etc
- I've been doing additional clean-up, removing deadheads, every week
- most of my bushes don't grow bigger, stronger canes; instead, new shoots come off either from the base or from the sides, which then grow weak and produce small roses
- every time I cut deadheads, it seems the next batch of buds produce smaller and smaller roses
- if I cut the canes themselves a little bit, new shoots immediately start growing, producing small roses; it seems the bushes are "desperate" to bloom, instead of growing strong, healthy buds
- I've been fertilizing with MiracleGro every 2 or 3 weeks
- the bushes are watered a couple of times a day
Should I not cut the deadheads to signal to the bush that it's time to grow instead of bloom?
Any other tips/ideas?
I can send pictures if you'd like. Let me know your email and I'll send you.
Thanks for your help!